Broiling in rocks and stones

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
9:15 AM
Some years ago, my husband brought me along to visit a family friend in the mountains. We arrived there after walking for an hour. The wooden house was simple and I saw their kitchen outside the house like an outhouse. Farther on, I saw a child tending something on the rocks that was smoking. When I came nearer, I saw rocks and stones lined up like a breakwater but there are burning wood by the side. On top of the rocks and stones are pieces of sweet potato.. being broiled.

When we entered the house and entertained by the host, there came the boy with a tray of newly-broiled sweet potato. The sweetest that I had tasted.

Cooking on hot rocks is an old technique as is burying the food in a pit with a load of hot stones to cook. Could be good fun on a wilderness camp [ avoid rocks that have been close to water they can explode]

They do that here in Japan with sweet potatoes too! I love them - they're always so perfectly soft when they're cooked like that, at least in my experience! You can find them being cooked like that at local supermarkets, and even in some places with vans that drive around the neighbourhood cooking and selling them!

Using hot rocks to cook is used somewhat here as well. My family did something similar with pigs. I've also heard they do it in Hawaii for there Luau events too. We dig a huge hole in the ground, get a fire going elsewhere with some large rocks to heat up. Get an entire pig cleaned and place it on some green leaves, put white hot rocks inside the pig, cover securely with wet sacks, more palm leaves etc. We leave it in the ground for several hours. This is usually done when we have large parties etc to feed attend to. However, most people find it quicker to just cut a drum in half and use that to Jamaican "jerk" our meat. More flavourful and smokey too!

In Hawaii they do that as well. Yes, we also have pig roasts here in the United States. In Prince Edward Island and other sandy Norhtern climes they actually cook pots of beans in the sand. I think they prepare them first, in a clay pot and then let the sand work as a natural oven of sorts, and it keeps the dish warm for hours. It just holds in the heat and lets the beans simmer for a very long time. I think you could probably do that anywhere they had a lot of sand.

Some years ago, my husband brought me along to visit a family friend in the mountains. We arrived there after walking for an hour. The wooden house was simple and I saw their kitchen outside the house like an outhouse. Farther on, I saw a child tending something on the rocks that was smoking. When I came nearer, I saw rocks and stones lined up like a breakwater but there are burning wood by the side. On top of the rocks and stones are pieces of sweet potato.. being broiled.

When we entered the house and entertained by the host, there came the boy with a tray of newly-broiled sweet potato. The sweetest that I had tasted.
I think that is the life. Here in my country the guys in the country are known to roast breadfruits on sticks and stone. I probably had my days as a child which I can't really remember but that rustic, natural life is something I want to experience. Around here it's mostly the guys on the block who make a habit of it.

I think that is the life. Here in my country the guys in the country are known to roast breadfruits on sticks and stone. I probably had my days as a child which I can't really remember but that rustic, natural life is something I want to experience. Around here it's mostly the guys on the block who make a habit of it.

Now, I remember the wild chicken that I had tasted in that mountain place. The friend had shot a wild rooster and cooked it using a wooden pit on top of coals between rocks. Inside the chicken were some leaves for flavoring. When it was cooked, it surprised me because it tasted so good but the texture was like beef jerky. It was tough. And our friend said that it is better if the wild chicken is cooked in sour broth because it can be tenderized unlike in roasting where the texture cannot be enhanced. I have seen breadfruit there which we call "rimas" mostly cooked as pastry. I'm curious how it tastes when roasted.

Back
Top Bottom