Brunch?

Local time
4:50 PM
We're doing a 5k at our church tomorrow and have a bunch of friends coming over afterward for brunch. I'm going to have a bunch of fruit and we'll probably make some eggs, pancakes, sausage, and bacon when everyone gets here. It's going to be very casual. What else would you suggest?

Last edited:
I think that sounds perfect for a casual brunch for friends. Some yogurt might go down well, it would make a nice complement to the fruit and requires no preparation.

In addition to what you mentioned here for the brunch, it woiuld be good to add some fruit juices along with some iced coffee. In that way your guests would have a choice between the juice and the coffee. To add a little dessert to the mix, some cookies would be good or even some cupcakes.

I normally don't make brunch at home.
I usually go to places such as Old Country Buffet for brunch on Sundays. :wink:

In addition to what you mentioned here for the brunch, it woiuld be good to add some fruit juices along with some iced coffee. In that way your guests would have a choice between the juice and the coffee. To add a little dessert to the mix, some cookies would be good or even some cupcakes.

You are very right about the liquid. That should not be overlooked. I had seen some great suggestions there as well. After a 5k or any kind of k I am going to want something very refreshing to drink. I am sure I'd be more interested in drinking than eating at least immediately after. I am glad you bought up the subject.

Last edited:
sounds like a social event and 5k is not a vast use of energy fo a lot us,
Maybe a fruit platter,sliced cheeses and hams,I would have croissants and pans of various descriptions ,with jams and butter,jugs of juice
Or I would do brunch normally as a full English breakfast wth sauté potatoes or eggs Benedictine ,but a bit heavy after exercise ,
Or a real sports breakfast quinoa porridge with blueberries

Maybe a fruit platter,sliced cheeses and hams,I would have croissants and pans of various descriptions ,with jams and butter,jugs of juice
Or I would do brunch normally as a full English breakfast wth sauté potatoes or eggs Benedictine ,but a bit heavy after exercise ,

Speak for yourself Bertiei:). A 5k in a major undertaking for someone like me and I reckon a few more of us. That said a lot of fluids would be big on my list. I saw lots of cool ideas online but if I was the host something like lemonade would feature at the brunch.Where I come from that would be a hit as it's one of those traditions that has been kind of lost in some areas.

At the same time your list provides some good suggestions.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We had a great time...my husband came in 2nd place in his age group...and it is a bit of a social event for us as well. As for brunch, we ended up making eggs and bacon and had a huge bowl of fruit salad along with some yogurt and granola. My husband loves cooking in his cast iron skillet, so he made something called a dutch baby that he found online. Oh, we also had mimosas to celebrate :)

Reactions: L_B
You will want to have a lot of nutrients in your brunch to aid with muscle healing for the runners. I imagine that they will want an assortment of juices, and some fresh fruit to replenish the water that is lost from doing the run. Brunch is not something that is eaten much where I live, but I enjoy any meal that I can share with others.

We seldom eat brunch unless there is an occasion. Our routine is always early breakfast, that is before 7 am and lunch at exactly noon time. For the midmorning snack, we eat some when we cannot wait for lunch but normally we just wait for lunch. However, there is a restaurant here which serves buffet brunch. That's where we go to when celebrating an occasion.

I typically eat breakfast on the go while on my way to work and it is usually a granola bar and a cup of coffee. Sometimes during the holidays, or when we have out of town guests visiting, we will go out to brunch, but we call it a late breakfast. We have breakfast foods at brunch. I really don't like having brunch because then lunch is much later in the day.

It all sounds good to me, the addition of the yogurt and fruit was the only thing I could see. We often add a coffee cake of sorts for people that do not like breakfast food. Brunch in my area is generally a combination of breakfast and lunch so that the need to eat a meal before dinner has been taken care of.

Invite me round for your next one :hungry: :wink:

Go for avocado on toast! Really good and easy to make. Eggs Benny is always a good idea and is really filling. And lumpy oatmeal, while it sounds sad there is a certain comfort knowing that there's oatmeal and you can add garnish and fruits anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom