Recipe Buckwheat and Spelt Bread

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:52 PM
I was experimenting really and ended up using a banaton in a reversal of the way its normally used. The banaton is normally used for the final rise to give the bread distinctive ridges. Here, I used it for the first rise, then turned it out and let the dough spread and 'split' before cooking. Its a wet dough and I used what I call the throwing and slapping technique for kneading. Its great fun! You need a dough scraper to use this technique.

fullsizeoutput_3764.jpeg

Ingredients
150g buckwheat flour
100g light spelt flour
250g strong white bread flour
1 tsp black treacle dissolved in 325 ml of warm water
9 g salt
7g instant yeast (use as per packet instructions)

Method
  1. Flour the banaton.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the three flours.
  3. Add salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other.
  4. Gradually add the water mixture stirring as you go, until all the flour is picked up
  5. Add more of the water mixture until the dough is 'sticky' (see photo below). You may need slightly more or less than 325 ml of water.
  6. Now be brave! Scoop the dough out of the bowl and slap it on a dry work surface. Do not flour the surface.
  7. It will stick very nicely to the surface. Ignore this and pick the dough up with one hand by grabbing it on top - much as you might pick a kitten up by the scruff of its neck. Ignore the bits of dough stuck on the surface.
  8. Now raise your hand and throw and slap the dough back down again (be violent).
  9. Keep repeating this action and the dough will gradually alter in texture.
  10. As it becomes smoother start using the dough scraper with your other hand, to scoop up the bits stuck on the surface.
  11. Keep grabbing and throwing down the dough (you should now be able to start turning the top of the dough over on itself before you grab it).
  12. Miraculously you will end up with a nice smooth dough and a clean surface. Gently shape the dough into a ball and place the dough (seam side up) in the floured banaton.
  13. Cover (a shower cap is ideal) and leave to double in size.
  14. Turn out the dough onto a baking sheet and leave for 20 mins. It will spread slightly and should crack on top.
  15. Bake for approximately 25 - 30 mins until it sound hollow when tapped underneath.
20180722_140816.jpg 20180722_141005.jpg20180722_141110.jpg

20180722_141239.jpg20180722_141308.jpg 20180722_141823.jpg

20180722_142047.jpg 20180722_150635.jpg20180722_155915.jpg

20180722_162727.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3756.jpeg

Last edited:
That is simply spec-tac-ular !

A perfect example of the rationale underpinning this forum. Clear instructions on how to follow a new technique, great explanatory photos, and what an end result.

Thanks @morning glory - that is truly inspiring

I was experimenting really and ended up using a banaton in a reversal of the way its normally used. The banaton is normally used for the final rise to give the bread distinctive ridges. Here, I used it for the first rise, then turned it out and let the dough spread and 'split' before cooking. Its a wet dough and I used what I call the throwing and slapping technique for kneading. Its great fun! You need a dough scraper to use this technique.

View attachment 17624

Ingredients
150g buckwheat flour
100g light spelt flour
250g strong white bread flour
1 tsp black treacle dissolved in 325 ml of warm water
9 g salt
7g instant yeast (use as per packet instructions)

Method
  1. Flour the banaton.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the three flours.
  3. Add salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other.
  4. Gradually add the water mixture stirring as you go, until all the flour is picked up
  5. Add more of the water mixture until the dough is 'sticky' (see photo below). You may need slightly more or less than 325 ml of water.
  6. Now be brave! Scoop the dough out of the bowl and slap it on a dry work surface. Do not flour the surface.
  7. It will stick very nicely to the surface. Ignore this and pick the dough up with one hand by grabbing it on top - much as you might pick a kitten up by the scruff of its neck. Ignore the bits of dough stuck on the surface.
  8. Now raise your hand and throw and slap the dough back down again (be violent).
  9. Keep repeating this action and the dough will gradually alter in texture.
  10. As it becomes smoother start using the dough scraper with your other hand, to scoop up the bits stuck on the surface.
  11. Keep grabbing and throwing down the dough (you should now be able to start turning the top of the dough over on itself before you grab it).
  12. Miraculously you will end up with a nice smooth dough and a clean surface. Gently shape the dough into a ball and place the dough (seam side up) in the floured banaton.
  13. Cover (a shower cap is ideal) and leave to double in size.
  14. Turn out the dough onto a baking sheet and leave for 20 mins. It will spread slightly and should crack on top.
  15. Bake for approximately 25 - 30 mins until it sound hollow when tapped underneath.
View attachment 17613 View attachment 17614View attachment 17615

View attachment 17620View attachment 17616 View attachment 17617

View attachment 17618 View attachment 17619View attachment 17621

View attachment 17622

View attachment 17623

This looks great! Would it work without the treacle? I need a rustic, but not sweet bread to serve with cheese tomorrow, and I have all the other ingredients. Also, I don't have a banneton but presumably a large bowl will do? No shower cap either. Would I be OK in a racing trilby?

I discovered not too long ago that spraying the plastic wrap with a cooking spray keeps the dough from sticking. I've been doing that and even spraying the parchment paper I put my pizza dough rounds on when getting them ready to precook on the grill.

This looks great! Would it work without the treacle? I need a rustic, but not sweet bread to serve with cheese tomorrow, and I have all the other ingredients.

The treacle doesn't make it sweet. I promise. Black treacle, just 1 tsp is just a whisper of deep dark bitter caramel, almost liquorice. But it will work without if you don't have it.

Also, I don't have a banneton but presumably a large bowl will do?

I suppose it would but you won't get the pretty ridges.

No shower cap either. Would I be OK in a racing trilby?

:laugh:

IMG_0469a.jpg

It didn't quite go according to plan. I thought I had strong white bread flour but it turned out to be wholemeal, so I used 50/50 wholemeal and white gluten free flour instead, but kept the same spelt and buckwheat quantities. I think I added too much liquid because even after 30 mins scooping and slapping the consistency didn't get beyond stage 2 of @morning glory's step by step photos. I don't think i've made as much mess since I was a small boy - dough everywhere!

However, I am pleased with the finished result. The bread is softer than I expected, and not too sweet. Perfect for cheese and pickle, and we'll see how it goes with a full cheese board later.

View attachment 17825
It didn't quite go according to plan. I thought I had strong white bread flour but it turned out to be wholemeal, so I used 50/50 wholemeal and white gluten free flour instead, but kept the same spelt and buckwheat quantities. I think I added too much liquid because even after 30 mins scooping and slapping the consistency didn't get beyond stage 2 of @morning glory's step by step photos. I don't think i've made as much mess since I was a small boy - dough everywhere!

However, I am pleased with the finished result. The bread is softer than I expected, and not too sweet. Perfect for cheese and pickle, and we'll see how it goes with a full cheese board later.

It looks good! I'm surprised it did so well with gluten free white flour included (horrible stuff IMHO). I'm biased on that as I've had no success at all with it. Luckily I have no gluten intolerant people to cook for (yet). I think maybe that the reason the slapping didn't work is because of the lack of gluten in your mix. which if I calculate correctly is only in 50% of the dough.

Talking of wet dough I went a stage further yesterday and made a wet dough with buckwheat and white flour that couldn't even be picked up. It turned out fine in the end - I will post some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom