Burns Night 2018

So will I. I absolutely love it. There is a vegan version which I'm also cooking (its not bad, I've tested it out already). Neeps and tatties too!

For some reason I can't remember, I always preferred haggis with chips and baked beans instead of the traditional tatties and neaps. That was until I discovered the joy of a whiskey cream sauce.

Not sure that appeals to me - well, the whisky part does. Sounds rather rich for such a rich dish as haggis. I like the way neeps and tatties provide a bland backdrop. But some sort of gravy is essential - I rather like Bisto with it!
The sauce is more creamy than rich as long as you don't overdo the whiskey. In the sauce, that is.

This is a vegetarian haggis that is fairly ubiquitous:

9671_1.jpg

OK - translation please. Burn's Night? I remember Haggis from an earlier post. Neeps? Clueless. Tatties? some potato preparation?
Communication - hmmm!:happy:

Neeps (slang for turnips are what us UK Southerners call swede and you would call rutabaga). Very confusing. Uk Northerners call swedes turnips. Swede is orangey in colour. In the UK South turnips are the (usually smaller) white root which have a slight radish tang in flavour. Swede is much sweeter. Tatties are simply potatoes - mashed in this case, as is the swede.

Burn's night is a Scottish celebration of Scottish poet Robert Burns (Rabbie Burns). His birthday was 25th January 1759. Arguably, his most famous work is Auld Land Syne...

Back
Top Bottom