Butternut Squash weight peeled vs unpeeled

I saw this recipe which requires a 3lb butternut squash
Spice Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe

I plan to buy ready peeled and cubed buttternut squash. What is this ready peeled equivalent of a 3lb unpeeled squash?
Not much, seeds pulp and peel maybe take off 1/2 lb or none at all. As far as your recipe is concerned, weight has no effect on the final intent.

As above, given that all you are doing is roasting the Butternut squash mixed with a few spices, it will have no effect at all.

But there is absolutely no need to skin a butternut squash. it is one of the ones with an edible skin that is not tough at all, so realistically you could buy a whole butternut squash and just deseed it yourself with a dessertspoon, just scraping out the inner. It takes maybe a couple of minutes. Just chop the bulb end off, then halve it lengthways and get the spoon (metal is best) and scrap away at each half. Done.

If I don't skin and cut up the squash, what's the best way to make it soft. I was thinking of steaming it.

The skin should be soft enough, after the pumpkin went into the oven. You could roast the seeds in an extra baking dish simultaneously, after the baking, you just have to peel them, if you've time for it.

Where should I put the olive oil? If it spills onto the baking tray it just gets burnt and therefore wasted. Therefore, I was thinking of mashing it all up then adding oil before putting it in the oven to cook. That's why I was asking about softening it first.

Where should I put the olive oil? If it spills onto the baking tray it just gets burnt and therefore wasted. Therefore, I was thinking of mashing it all up then adding oil before putting it in the oven to cook. That's why I was asking about softening it first.
Just add the olive oil and spices to the squash and toss to evenly coat then spread on a baking sheet or put in a casserole without a lid. Which after looking at the instructions of your recipe says to do just that. Don't overthink it.

put everything in a plastic bag that you crash hold or seal closed. shake everything together. this will evening distribute the oil and the seasoning and cover all pieces of squash.
empty the contents of the bag onto the baking sheet. there won't be any oil left over to burn.

Back
Top Bottom