Recipe Campfire Onion Bombs

L_B

Veteran
Local time
12:14 AM
We are big time campers and I recently came across this recipe.
We tried them out last weekend on our camping trip and they were a
huge success. We will definitely be making them again. They are simple
and easy to prepare and you can adjust them to your own liking! I pretty
much followed the recipe below. It is basically mini meat loaves wrapped
in onion. Just prepare then, toss them on the open fire and enjoy!!

Campfire Onion Bombs

1-400x400.jpg

Ingredients
  • 2 large onions
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 Tbs basil
  • 1 Tbs oregano
  • 1 Tbs parsly
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
  • ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • ½ cup milk
  • tomato sauce (optional, they really do not need the sauce)

Instructions
  1. Peel onions & cut in half. Separate the onions into matching pieces.
  2. In a bowl, mix together all the remaining ingredients except for the tomato sauce. It is easiest to use your hands. Do not over mix or the result will be very dense!
  3. Fill two sides of an onion, then press together. Repeat.
  4. Wrap 5 - 10 bombs per foil packet. (I use heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap at least 3 times)
  5. To cook, place them in a large amount of very hot coals for 20 minutes, flip over and cook for another 20 minutes. Total cooking time will depend on the size of your bombs and the hotness of your coals. Check on them to be sure they are cooked all the way through.
  6. You could also roast these in a 350º oven if you aren’t camping!
  7. To serve, remove the foil and top with tomato sauce if desired.

Onion powder. That's a new one to me.. Not sure we have that here. I shouldn't think that would matter too much, though. I like the idea of using the onions to pack the meat into. Perhaps I'm not fully understanding this, though. Don't you end up with various sizes of 'bombs' because the layers of onion used to form the shell, get smaller and smaller?

Yum - I'm always looking for new ways to use ground beef since it's cost effective and freezes well, and I've never tried something like this before. Plus, they're all ingredients we regularly have on hand, which is nice. No extra complicated stuff to buy -- winner!

Reactions: L_B
Onion and sausage meat would be great for me with camp fire spiced beans ,or just good baked beans

I have seen onion salt and granules so that might be similar.
Just wondering how often here in the UK we might get to cook on a real campfire though :scratchhead:
Well, almost never, as far as I'm concerned. I'm only prepared (and that would be at a pinch) to consider 'glamping'. Do they have glamp fires, I wonder?

Onion powder. That's a new one to me.. Not sure we have that here. I shouldn't think that would matter too much, though. I like the idea of using the onions to pack the meat into. Perhaps I'm not fully understanding this, though. Don't you end up with various sizes of 'bombs' because the layers of onion used to form the shell, get smaller and smaller?

Yes they do. The bombs would get smaller as the onion gets smaller. So you have a variety of different sizes!

Haha, I love the idea of 'glamping' much more than camping, other than in a cabin, but these do sound good. They can probably be made in the backyard over a fire, as well, or at the beach. Onion powder is prevalent here in the U.S., and is different from onion salt. I try to limit my salt intake, since so many food products are packed with it, but I keep both on hand.

Haha, I love the idea of 'glamping' much more than camping, other than in a cabin, but these do sound good. They can probably be made in the backyard over a fire, as well, or at the beach. Onion powder is prevalent here in the U.S., and is different from onion salt. I try to limit my salt intake, since so many food products are packed with it, but I keep both on hand.
Interesting on the onion salt / powder - do you have any brand names we could try searching out ?

I prefer onion powder or onion salt. I also prefer garlic powder over garlic salt. I never buy the salts in either spice. I have to watch my salt intake because of high blood pressure so I try to tweak my right files when it comes to things like that.

They are basically meatballs that are grilled it seems, but instead of the onion baked inside it is on the outside. I am sure they would be good. I love ground meat and onions anyway. Onions are my favorite vegetable and I look for any excuse to use them!

They sound delicious. I sometimes have trouble with onions, but I think since these are sections, instead of large pieces, it might make a difference, and I'm sure they are cooked thoroughly by the time the meatballs are finished cooking, so I should be able to digest them.

Back
Top Bottom