Can I Reuse Cooking Oil?

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
12:37 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
Occasionally, I make Kara'age Chicken in my little deep fryer.
DSC00853.JPG

I allow the oil and cooker to cool, but I don't always get to it straight away to strain the oil and put it in the `fridge.
Sometimes, it may take me a day or two to get it squared away.
Is this oil still good/safe to reuse?

Yes, depending on the oil. I keep oil in my deep fryer for a few months out on the kitchen counter. I use peanut oil, and I can dip my finger in it (cold, of course), taste it, and know if I need to change it. Some oils will go rancid pretty fast. Peanut oil seems to be pretty stable, at least from my experience.

I do dump the oil through a fine strainer on a regular basis, clean out the fryer, and dump the strained oil back into the fryer. That is just to get the particulate matter out. I don't have room in the fridge for that much oil, so it is stored at room temperature.

I've been doing this for years, and never had a bad experience.

Of course, if you fry a lot of fish, your French fries may get fishy tasting, but that's not a food safety issue. I fry chicken wings a lot, and it doesn't mess up the taste of anything else.

CD

I use and re-use until the oil begins to smell burned!
Strain when there are a lot of particles in the oil, because they'll only burn and leave a nasty taste.
And I never, ever put oil in the fridge, any more than I'd put vinegar in the fridge.

caseydog right now, I'm using store brand Vegetable Oil.
IMG_3277.JPG

Once the oil has cooled, I do the same, strain it through cheesecloth, back into the original container and into the fridge.
I've been doing this for years and I only fry one thing in the reused oil. Since getting my Air Fryer, I only deep fry chicken.

caseydog right now, I'm using store brand Vegetable Oil.
View attachment 106220
Once the oil has cooled, I do the same, strain it through cheesecloth, back into the original container and into the fridge.
I've been doing this for years and I only fry one thing in the reused oil. Since getting my Air Fryer, I only deep fry chicken.

I've never used regular vegetable oil for deep frying, so I don't know how long it lasts compared to peanut oil.

I don't strain mine every time. With things like French fries, it just isn't necessary. With battered or dredged foods that loose a lot of "stuff" in the frying, I'll strain the oil. But, no fridge, just back into the fryer.

CD

Peanut Oil is a bit spendy here in Cowboyville, at least compared to Vegetable Oil.
Now, if I bought 1 gallon it works out to 13¢/fl oz for Peanut or 7¢/fl oz for Vegetable Oil for store brand.
Since I don't deep fry that often, I suppose I could, but ... I can make a penny scream :happy:

Peanut Oil is a bit spendy here in Cowboyville, at least compared to Vegetable Oil.
Now, if I bought 1 gallon it works out to 13¢/fl oz for Peanut or 7¢/fl oz for Vegetable Oil for store brand.
Since I don't deep fry that often, I suppose I could, but ... I can make a penny scream :happy:

Peanut oil is spendy everywhere. But, I'm willing to spend more for items that I really like using. To me, it just works better for deep frying (and shallow frying) than any other oil I've used. I do NOT use it for sautéing, but for any frying that involves full or partial submersion in hot oil, peanut oil is my go-to oil.

CD

Peanut oil is spendy everywhere. But, I'm willing to spend more for items that I really like using. To me, it just works better for deep frying (and shallow frying) than any other oil I've used. I do NOT use it for sautéing, but for any frying that involves full or partial submersion in hot oil, peanut oil is my go-to oil.

CD
I only use Peanut Oil in my Stir Fry - it tastes more familiar taste for me, like back home.

Occasionally, I make Kara'age Chicken in my little deep fryer.
View attachment 106172
I allow the oil and cooker to cool, but I don't always get to it straight away to strain the oil and put it in the `fridge.
Sometimes, it may take me a day or two to get it squared away.
Is this oil still good/safe to reuse?
Yes you can. I do!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom