Recipe Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Mushrooms, Onions, Coconut Oil Cheese and Eggs

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:34 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have a friend who is on a low carb Keto diet and we are having a pizza party tomorrow. So I thought I would try a Cauliflower Crust Pizza base out before the party... It works really well.

Ingredients (base)
1 cauliflower (around 750g size)
100g Almond Meal (or ground almonds)
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 eggs beaten
salt and pepper

Ingredients (topping)
A suitable tomato base (I used tomato concentrate and tomato sauce roughly 5 parts to 1)
1 large field mushroom
1/2 onion sliced
1/2 packet coconut oil cheddar style cheese (use whatever you want!)
2 eggs

Method
  1. deleaf the cauliflower and chop into suitable sizes for your food processor.
  2. now blitz the cauliflower in batches to make cauliflower rice. You can do the stalk as well despite what all the other recipes say, just be more patient and accept that it will be a little more coarse.
  3. put all the blitzed cauliflower into a microwave safe container, cover with something air tight (like cling film) and cook on high in the microwave for 5-7 minutes until it is soft. (If you don't have a microwave, steam it, but expect to have to wring much more water out in the next step.)
  4. Allow to cool until you can easily handle it and tip out onto some clean tea-towels. Now wring out all the water - pull the corners up and form a ball, twist tight and squeeze until you have as much liquid out as you can be bothered to get out. The more the better so that you don't have a soggy base!
  5. Heat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas 6.
  6. Mix the cauliflower with the almond meal, oregano, salt & pepper and beaten eggs.
  7. Tip out onto a suitable baking tray or pizza tray lined with grease proof paper (and greased if your kind needs it). Now spread it out (pressing it down as you go) into roughly a 12 inch (30cm) diameter pizza base. It will mould together as it goes.
  8. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown and the center is golden.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. you need it to cool slightly before adding the toppings because for some reason (I don't yet know why) this prevents the base from going soggy!
  10. Add the tomato mixture - the thicker and drier this is the better, spreading it around almost to the edges. Add the sliced onions and then the sliced field mushrooms. I used the mushroom slices to form a pattern of 4 triangles, 2 of which held the eggs in place, but obviously you can do what you want! Crack the eggs into 2 of the mushroom triangles and sprinkle over the cheese.
  11. Return the pizza to the oven (now 220C, 430F Gas 7) for roughly 10-12 minutes. This will depend entirely on how hot you want the base and how well cooked you like your eggs!
I'll upload the other photos another day, but this is the final version.
the original recipe says serves 4. Personally I would say it serves 2 for a Sunday lunch with a desert!

DSC_1115_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom