Recipe Celery root nachos/chips

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:40 PM
For chips, cut ends off celery root, peel, cut in half vertically, then use mandolin to very thinly slice.

Deep fry in vegetable oil at 360-375 F until crisp and lightly browned. Watch closely as this will happen quickly. Remove from oil, place on rack to drain, and sprinkle with salt.
Or
Place the slices on paper towels in a single layer; sprinkle with sea salt. Let stand for 15 minutes, then blot dry. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Place vegetable slices in a single layer on the baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 20 minutes turning and rearranging at least once, sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes.

Mexican/Southwest nachos

Celery root chips
Your favorite salsa, homemade or jarred, red and/or green
Grated cheese of your choice, Monterey Jack, muenster, or any Mexican melting cheese
Crema or thinned sour cream (sour cream thinned with cream or milk to the point you can use in a squirt bottle)

Optional toppings:
Bulk chorizo or remove from sausage casings, saute until done and drained, or ground beef cooked and seasoned with taco meat seasonings
Black beans, rinsed and drained. If canned, I usually add some water, garlic and onion powder, and ground cumin, then cook them for 15-20 minutes at a simmer to give them more flavor and get rid of the canned taste.
Black olives, rinsed and drained
Chopped fresh tomatos
Jalapeno slices to taste

Place half of chips in an even layer on a baking dish, sprinkle half of grated cheese evenly on chips. Sprinkle half of your toppings on top of cheese. Place remaining chips on top, rest of toppings, rest of cheese.

Bake at 375 until cheese melts. Remove from oven drizzle with crema or thinned sour cream Serve with additional sour cream and/or guacamole.

Italian nachos

We had some prosciutto we needed to use up, some roasted/dried tomato/basil pesto, as well as some little mozzarella balls, so I thought of making Italian Nachos. The prosciutto we had was cut a little thick (the woman at the deli obviously didn't know how to cut it and wasn't being watched closely) so I was going to slice it up and fry it until crisp. Besides the red roasted/dried tomato/basil pesto, I was going to make some regular green pesto and a small amount of Alfredo sauce.

To assemble, form a rectangle of chips on an oven safe serving dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella, then with the fried prosciutto. Add another layer of chips and mozzarella. Bake in a 375 F oven until cheese is melted. Remove from oven. Using a squirt bottle and starting from the left, drizzle the green pesto over 1/3 of the rectangle. Next, again using a squirt bottle, drizzle the Alfredo sauce over the center third of the rectangle. Finally, with the red pesto and a squirt bottle drizzle the right third of the rectangle. I would do long vertical strokes for my drizzles, or maybe just slightly angular.

Guess what you now have, Italian Flag nachos. Hey, I know it's kitchy and gimicky, but it would be good finger food for an Italian-themed party, or even just a quick meal.

ALFREDO SAUCE, make a small amount of your favorite or use jarred.

PESTO use your favorite recipe. For red pesto, make your regular recipe of pesto, reducing amount of basil by anout 1/4 and adding 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the tomatoes below.

Oven roasted/dried tomatoes recipe

Ripe but still firm Roma type tomatos, I usually do several pounds just because of time commitment.
Dried basil
Salt and pepper, but go easy on the salt.
EVOO
Large grate parmigiano reggiano cheese

Wash and drain tomatos, cut in 1/4 inch slices, place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss until tomatos are well coated. You want a decent coating of the basil and cheese, not real thin, but not heavy either. Add the olive oil in increments, you want enough to help the cheese and basil stick, but you don't want drippy.

Sorry I don't have amounts, haven't made these in a while and I just kind of wing it anyway because I make varying amounts.

Place the slices in a single layer on racks in rimmed sheet pans (line with foil to help with clean up, trust me on this) and place in oven at lowest temp it will go, my lowest oven temp is 170 F on convection, and bake until dehydrated, but still meaty. This will take anywhere from 3 to 5 hours depending on your tomatos and oven temp. I check every hour for the first couple, then start checking at the half hour. Cool on rack when done.

We divide in about 1/4 to 1/3 cup portions in plastic bags and freeze. These MUST be frozen for long term storage or refrigerated and used within 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Nice! I've made chips (crisps in UK) from carrots and parsnips before but not celeriac. I will have to try this. I like the nacho ideas too.

Back
Top Bottom