Char siu

How do you make char sui sauce?

In the distant past I used to make it like this:

Char Sui Recipe - Food.com

However, I found that commercially available char siu sauce mix was far superior to what I could make so now I use that but with added honey basting.

1652271593837.png

However, I found that commercially available char siu sauce mix was far superior to what I could make so now I use that but with added honey basting.

I wonder if I can find something similar at my local Asian market? I'm going to look. I regularly see you posting pics of your noodles, always looks good.

Although looking over your recipe, it doesn't look difficult.

I wonder if I can find something similar at my local Asian market? I'm going to look. I regularly see you posting pics of your noodles, always looks good.

Although looking over your recipe, it doesn't look difficult.

Ah, the char siu noodles are a different animal and I would have difficulty trying to emulate those in my kitchen, particularly at the prices that the stalls charge.

With my cooking I try to stick to what I like and what is difficult to buy locally. I love potatoes but to buy cooked potatoes here (other than chips or crisps out of a bag) is a rarity.

Ah, the char siu noodles are a different animal and I would have difficulty trying to emulate those in my kitchen, particularly at the prices that the stalls charge.

With my cooking I try to stick to what I like and what is difficult to buy locally. I love potatoes but to buy cooked potatoes here (other than chips or crisps out of a bag) is a rarity.
But isn't the flavor profile the same? That's really what I was wondering.

JAS_OH1 if I could, to me, the flavor of a shop bought Char Siu and what I make at home with a sauce/mix is far better.
I think it's the cut of meat the they use in the Asian shops, but it also could very well be the marinade.
But Yorky always gets these noodle bowls. Is that what you do as well, noodle bowls?

I will have to give it a shot next week.

Last edited:

I used to make this year's ago. I dont know why I stopped. I have all the ingredients. Thanks for the punch in the head to remind me. :)

Russ

I make own Char Siu for Noodle Bowls.
View attachment 85125 View attachment 85126 View attachment 85127

View attachment 85128 View attachment 85129 View attachment 85130
JAS_OH1 I'd be willing to bet that your Asian Market would some brand of Char Siu sauce available.
Try it on Chicken parts too!
I like to use Char Siu for boneless ribs. I think I made a video for that a while back...
View: https://youtu.be/_u0dnep2Cik

Actually, come to think of it, that was one of my favorite videos to date.

the best cut for CharSui IMHO is pork cheeks. over the top. but if I am going to the trouble. I use my own recipe and not from a jar. I dont like it so red colored.

I make own Char Siu for Noodle Bowls.
View attachment 85125 View attachment 85126 View attachment 85127

View attachment 85128 View attachment 85129 View attachment 85130
JAS_OH1 I'd be willing to bet that your Asian Market would some brand of Char Siu sauce available.
Try it on Chicken parts too!
What cut of pork do you use? The recipe that Yorky posted called for pork loin, but the loin is rather lean and in my experience of cooking it in other ways it sometimes can be dry. Yours looks well marbled and moist. I am not saying his isn't good, I just personally haven't mastered cooking pork loin and having it come out moist, but maybe the marinade has something to do with that?

JAS_OH1 , Where I come from, mostly the Pork Belly is used to make Char Siu, I can't get that here in Cowboyville.
So Those first few pics are Pork Butt and then that later are boneless Country Ribs.
I buy the pre-made marinade but I've oodles of recipes online to make your own.
What I've learned over the years is during the last maybe 5 minutes of cook time, put the tray under the broiler and baste each side with honey, it's lovely!

Back
Top Bottom