Cheap meats

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
2:11 PM
I am really getting sick of eating chicken, porkchops, and round steak. What are some of the cheap meats you all like to buy, and how do you prepare them?

Mince (pork or beef) is a cheap option around here. Its versatile - chilli, curry, cottage pie, meatballs, burgers, meatloaf... Otherwise, I buy the cheaper cuts like brisket or ox-tail and cook it really slowly. You could always do a vegetarian week :wink:

Bellys,shins,legs,all the cheap cuts if you treat them with love cook them slow ,the world is your oyster
Feather edge or skirt Is sticky and fall apart if braised slow,I love shoulders lamb and pork cooked for a day

Mince (pork or beef) is a cheap option around here. Its versatile - chilli, curry, cottage pie, meatballs, burgers, meatloaf... Otherwise, I buy the cheaper cuts like brisket or ox-tail and cook it really slowly. You could always do a vegetarian week :wink:

I have to agree with mince - I make all the above meals from time to time, and our latest go-to meal with mince is stuffed peppers (capsicum) filled with cooked ground beef, couscous, and various herbs, spices and cheese...bake them in the oven and it's a nice healthy(ish) meal!

The vegetarian week is my suggestion when you get tired of the usual meats. A vegetarian lasgne is good, beans is always my go to and chilli made meatless or with meat gives the weekly meal menu a change also.

Try going off meat for a while. Instead use other protein sources for your meals and you might be surprised how much variety there is. I like to eat fish when in need of variety and also include lamb in my cooking. You could try that as well.

I love making my own burgers. To save on pricey beef cuts I just buy pork shoulders and whatever beef cut I like. The ratio of the meat will depend on your budget if you want to use pork mostly and put a little beef that is all up to you. The resulting taste is similar to a sausage just choose which spices work for you. I tend to use smoked paprika and celery seeds for my burgers

Perhaps I will do a beans week! I have a bag of mixed beans, a can of chickpeas, and some dried black eye peas. I will throw meat out all the way for a week and enjoy some of the other foods of life. I was also thinking I could do something with ground turkey, but it is very bland if you don't season it right.

I am really getting sick of eating chicken, porkchops, and round steak. What are some of the cheap meats you all like to buy, and how do you prepare them?
well I sometimes buy pre made barbecue. There is not much preparation there. for sure! I think maybe you could get shredded meat as well and prepare your own barbecue, but to be honest, I am not sure I have seen in it in the stores.

Many of the cheap cuts are great cooked in a slow cooker. If I were you, I would speak to the butcher about the different cuts available and how they recommend you cook them. Oxtail is a really tender piece of meat that is great in stews and soups and is very cheap.

Many of the cheap cuts are great cooked in a slow cooker. If I were you, I would speak to the butcher about the different cuts available and how they recommend you cook them. Oxtail is a really tender piece of meat that is great in stews and soups and is very cheap.
I have never tried Oxtail before. I tried buffalo meat once and it was good. You have to cook it slow as well because it is a very muscle dense meat. I have a slow cooker and I am learning all sorts of tricks to using it. Meat almost falls off your fork when it has been slow cooked for hours.

It might be a strange suggestion but eating these meats (organs, really) is a reality for most Asian and Middle Eastern countries. You should try some chicken liver, heart, necks and such. Pork cheeks, tongue, shins and beef hooves, legs and other parts are still all edible. Try looking for some recipes online that satistfies your diet and wallet-- you might even like them too. These meats are usually cooked longer than usual and sauces and spices give it an extra kick.

I have never tried Oxtail before. I tried buffalo meat once and it was good. You have to cook it slow as well because it is a very muscle dense meat. I have a slow cooker and I am learning all sorts of tricks to using it. Meat almost falls off your fork when it has been slow cooked for hours.

Slow cooking meats can be tricky - meat can technically be "falling apart" but also dry a heck too because it's been over cooked in a slow cooker. Even when it's swimming in juices/broth. It can take on a quality similar to wet sawdust. If it's a large roast of beef/pork, I will usually cut it into two or thirds to help it cook more evenly throughout. Otherwise the exterior of the meat may be overcooked while the center is still chewy and not tender.

Beef shanks are a good option for something different. They do take some time to cook but they have a lot of flavor from the bone in the center. Not to mention that bone marrow itself is incredibly delicious - I like to spread it on bread while I'm eating it. One thing I will recommend, regardless of how you cook them, is to cut scores around the perimeter of the shank so it doesn't curl up on you while you're trying to brown it. I actually prefer to just braise them on the stove over a gentle heat in some broth/sauce after browning them, instead of pulling out the crock pot. If you cook them in a deep enough pan to hold the liquid, and it has a well fitted lid, you're fine.

There is a Sunday market here where we can buy exotic foodstuff. One is the quail meat. Like a small chicken, it is good for frying if you know how to make a special marinade. Another is goat's meat although it is quite expensive. You can cook that meat with the recipe of the chili con carne sans the beans. It is called kaldereta here. And if you want some more, try the wild boar meat with the gamey taste. It is best when fried with some other ingredients like spices and herbs.

Search out an old [and I do mean old] cook book. Back in the day economy was king and there are literally hundreds of recipes for economic meat meals using all sorts of seemingly now forgotten meats. How often do you see mutton for sale for example ?

Back
Top Bottom