Recipe Cheese rolls nz

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:31 PM
i know these are a kiwi thing so thought I would share with you guys , I buy these from people that sell them by the dozen as fundraisers , I've got about 4 dozen in the freezer, great for a quick snack.
Great with lots of butter

Annabel_Langbein_SouthlandCheeseRolls_HERO.jpg

Photo: Annabel Langbein Media

Ingredients -
cook time: 30 mins + cooling. Makes: 35
370 ml tin evaporated milk
1 cup cream
1 small onion, grated (about ¼ cup)
1 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp fine white pepper
500g edam cheese, grated
32g packet onion soup powder
about 35 slices white or light grain sandwich bread (about 1½ loaves)
softened butter or mayonnaise, to spread

Method
  1. Place evaporated milk in a pot with cream, onion, mustard powder and pepper. Heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat, add cheese and soup powder and stir until cheese has melted and sauce has thickened. Allow to cool before using (it will thicken further as it cools). This mixture can be made in advance and stored in a container in the fridge for up to a week.
  2. To cook rolls, preheat oven to 180˚C and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
  3. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter or mayonnaise and remove crusts if desired (traditionally they aren’t removed). Spread 2 tbsp of the cooled cheese mixture on the unbuttered side of each slice, and then roll up firmly, placing joined-edge down on the prepared tray. Bake until crisp and golden (15-20 minutes). Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
https://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/southland-cheese-rolls/3475/

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I've heard of Annabel Langbein - not this recipe though. Isn't there some other related thing which I am trying to remember which is a NZ thing - a cheesy onion dip which is a bit like the filling here?

Thanks for fixing this.

Russ

I added recipe and photo - we ask that recipes aren't just posted as links. Mainly because otherwise we turn into one of those websites which is just links to other websites - but also because some members in some countries can't access the links. :okay:

Yeah we have a unique dip here just called dip, it's made with a small tin of reduced cream and a teaspoon of malt vinegar and a packet of onion soup mix. Great with crisps while watching the footy,lol.

Very very addictive.

Russ

I added recipe and photo - we ask that recipes aren't just posted as links. Mainly because otherwise we turn into one of those websites which is just links to other websites - but also because some members in some countries can't access the links. :okay:

Ok , still learning how this site works, as you were,lol

Russ

Yeah we have a unique dip here just called dip, it's made with a small tin of reduced cream and a teaspoon of malt vinegar and a packet of onion soup mix. Great with crisps while watching the footy,lol.

Very very addictive.

Russ
That's it! I think Kiwis in the UK search high and low for that packet onion soup mix.

Back
Top Bottom