Chemical taste in canned/bottled foods

mushuy

Local time
4:15 AM
I didn't know where to ask this, so I thought this might be a good place :)

Over the years I've come across canned and bottled food that has a chemical taste to it. It happens about once a year. I just opened a can of bamboo shoots that had it. It happens mostly with metal cans, which is why for awhile I thought it might be the metal, but then occasionally I come across the same taste with juice bottles. There were a couple times I bought multiple bottles of juice, the same juice/brand, and they all tasted like it.

I do notice some people can taste it and some cannot. It's particularly overpowering to me. No matter what type of food it's the same chemical taste and tastes almost like some oil that tuns the wheels at the factory got in the food lol. Not long ago I saw a food safe cleaning fluid for factory equipment and it said on the bottle, safe and no need to rinse. This was pretty shocking to read and I'm wondering if that's the taste I'm tasting?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to CookingBites @mushuy. I can't say I've noticed a chemical taste but sometimes there is what I'd describe as a 'tinned' taste. I've found that particularly noticeable with tinned artichokes and tinned potatoes. Its a slightly metallic taste. Come to think of it I've also noticed that taste in artichokes preserved in a glass jar. We may not be talking about the same thing though.

Check the expiration dates, and make sure there are no dents. I store canned goods in the pantry (cool dark place) and not close to the stove or sunlight. Sometimes tomato sauce has a bit if an acidic taste.

Years ago, there used to be recipes for baking tomato soup cake in soup cans. Don't see those recipes around any more. Guess the metals or chemicals used in cans are different now than they were.

Last edited:
Yep I always check the expiration date :) most of the stuff is newly bought at the store. What throws me is it is also in juice bottles and non canned items. It also tastes more like a chemical than metal.

In biology class we had a taste test where we put Phenylthiocarbamide on our tongues. It's supposed to test whether you can taste bitter or not. There are two forms of the gene, some people have one form to taste and some another to not taste it. Then there are a few who have a homozygous gene and can taste it very strongly. I was one of those who tasted it very strongly. It was almost like putting a battery on my tongue it was so strong.

I'm wondering if this chemical taste in food is bitter and why some cannot taste it. Maybe people who can taste it mildly don't really notice it and a select few can taste it strongly. I've only come across a few people that can taste it when I tasted it in food.

Back
Top Bottom