The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:50 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1322.JPG

My Weight Watchers journey continues (I've lost 7 pounds since I started 2 weeks ago), and now I'm thinking of clever ways to make recipes that register as ultra-low. This one is 0 points for the filling (the bun is still a few points), as the only ingredient that registers is Worcestershire sauce. Best of all, it tastes good.

And, thanks to @Herbie, I've started a free trial with https://www.weightlossresources.co.uk, so I can accurately tell you the nutritional information in normal terms (i.e., outside the weight watchers world). Each filling of serving (without the bun) registers as 66 calories, 10g of protein, and 1.1g of fat. For some reason, that site doesn't tell you what the sodium content will be.

I replaced the usual ground beef with ground chicken (which I ground myself, but you can get this at most supermarkets). After that, the big obstacle to an ultra-light serving was the oil that usually is needed to saute the vegetables. I decided to cook the meat along with the vegetables, which allowed the vegetables to saute in the small amount of fat in the meat; the vegetables in turn kept the meat from getting dry as they released their moisture. Stevia also replaced honey or other sweetener that I would normally use.

I diced the peppers with the seeds, and the result was spicy, so take note. I don't mind the spice, but I intended this for use by my family (which doesn't like spicy things). So, I suspect I'll have to make this again, but without the seeds.

Ingredients

1 pound uncooked ground chicken breast
1 medium red onion, diced
2 large jalapeño peppers, minced
1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1⁄4 tsp Stevia
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
14 1⁄2 oz diced tomatoes, canned
1 Tbsp kosher salt

Directions

1. Cook chicken together with onion and peppers for about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, stirring frequently, making sure to break up the chicken into small pieces

IMG_1319.JPG

2. Puree diced tomatoes with the remaining ingredients in a food processor.

IMG_1320.JPG

3. Add the mixture to the pan and cook until desired consistency is reached. Add salt as desired to taste.

IMG_1321.JPG

Back
Top Bottom