The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:31 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0834.JPG

I've made many, many pork sausages, and I've also made hamburger with different blends of beef, but I've never made a sausage out of any other meat. But, this seemed like a great time to start. The idea here was to take all the ingredients I've used in making chicken tikka masala, but get them all into the sausage meat.

This wasn't an easy thing. At first, I wanted to have the bits of pepper, garlic, ginger, and tomato visible in the sausage. But, I realized this wouldn't yield a real tikka masala taste, which comes about from having stewed in a pan for a while. Then, I considered just making a tikka masala sauce, and mixing it into the meat. The problem with that, I decided, was that it would be too diluted to really carry the flavor in every bit, and/or it would likely be too loose to hold together.

Note that I would normally use fresh tomatoes if I were making a proper tikka masala. But, they wouldn't have broken down enough to integrate properly, and I would have ended up with bits of raw tomato. Maybe next time I'll do that part differently.

Ingredients

4 pounds chicken thighs, bones removed but skin on
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons garam masala
2 tablespoons paprika
1 cup garlic cloves, grated
1 cup fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 serrano pepper, minced (seeds retained)
14.5 ounces crushed tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup cup fat free Greek yogurt

Directions

1. Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch chunks, keeping the skin together with the meat if possible. Toss with kosher salt, 1 tablespoon of garam masala. and 1 tablespoon of paprika to coat every surface. Place in a plastic zipper bag in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to give seasoning a chance to penetrate the meat. Place in freezer until ready to grind, ensuring that the meat is frozen mostly solid, but partly soft.

2. In a pan on medium heat, cook grated garlic, ginger, and olive oil for about one minute. Add diced serano pepper and cook for one more minute.
IMG_0830.JPG

3. Add remaining garam masala and paprika and stir in thoroughly. Make sure liquid is drained from tomatoes, then add to the pan.

IMG_0832.JPG

4. Continue cooking until liquid is boiled off. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

5. Using a meat grinder with components that have been in the freezer, grind chicken meat.

IMG_0833.JPG

6. Blend mixture from pan with yogurt and then blend thoroughly with the ground chicken. Refrigerate for an hour to allow mixture to blend fully with the meat.

7. Form into patties, cook thoroughly, and serve with on basmati rice with yogurt and cilantro.

View attachment 9736

I've made many, many pork sausages, and I've also made hamburger with different blends of beef, but I've never made a sausage out of any other meat. But, this seemed like a great time to start. The idea here was to take all the ingredients I've used in making chicken tikka masala, but get them all into the sausage meat.

This wasn't an easy thing. At first, I wanted to have the bits of pepper, garlic, ginger, and tomato visible in the sausage. But, I realized this wouldn't yield a real tikka masala taste, which comes about from having stewed in a pan for a while. Then, I considered just making a tikka masala sauce, and mixing it into the meat. The problem with that, I decided, was that it would be too diluted to really carry the flavor in every bit, and/or it would likely be too loose to hold together.

Note that I would normally use fresh tomatoes if I were making a proper tikka masala. But, they wouldn't have broken down enough to integrate properly, and I would have ended up with bits of raw tomato. Maybe next time I'll do that part differently.

Ingredients

4 pounds chicken thighs, bones removed but skin on
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons garam masala
2 tablespoons paprika
1 cup garlic cloves, grated
1 cup fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 serrano pepper, minced (seeds retained)
14.5 ounces crushed tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup cup fat free Greek yogurt

Directions

1. Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch chunks, keeping the skin together with the meat if possible. Toss with kosher salt, 1 tablespoon of garam masala. and 1 tablespoon of paprika to coat every surface. Place in a plastic zipper bag in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to give seasoning a chance to penetrate the meat. Place in freezer until ready to grind, ensuring that the meat is frozen mostly solid, but partly soft.

2. In a pan on medium heat, cook grated garlic, ginger, and olive oil for about one minute. Add diced serano pepper and cook for one more minute.
View attachment 9732

3. Add remaining garam masala and paprika and stir in thoroughly. Make sure liquid is drained from tomatoes, then add to the pan.

View attachment 9734

4. Continue cooking until liquid is boiled off. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

5. Using a meat grinder with components that have been in the freezer, grind chicken meat.

View attachment 9735

6. Blend mixture from pan with yogurt and then blend thoroughly with the ground chicken. Refrigerate for an hour to allow mixture to blend fully with the meat.

7. Form into patties, cook thoroughly, and serve with on basmati rice with yogurt and cilantro.

@The Late Night Gourmet,

Exceptional labors & lovely flavor profile ..

Have a lovely summer ..

@The Late Night Gourmet, I have to hand it to you for innovation! The only thing I'm wondering is how this mix holds together. There seems to be quite a lot of sauce and nothing to bind it into the chicken?
It held together extremely well. There's a lot of chicken in the recipe, and the skin seems to be an excellent binder. Before doing some research, I had expected to trim the skin and fat off the chicken, then blend with bacon. It would have worked, but it wouldn't have been a pure chicken flavor. But, several people suggested using the skin. It does make quite the oil slick in the pan, but it works...and it tastes good.

Back
Top Bottom