1. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member

Chilli Jam is a new one on me but it seems to be surprisingly common in Australia. Have you come across it? Do you like it ? I know first time I tried it I was unsure on it, but now I love it. Hubby is the same. But it's definitely one where you need to know how strong you like it . Luckily we like it quite strong. We're using it in place of a relish or pickle on sandwiches but I've no idea on how you're meant to use it.

I haven't tried this version yet but it is in our cupboard. I'll photo the one we are currently enjoying when I get home .

_20190111_132456.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Yeah - its a good thing. Although most of them are far too sweet for me. I think you are using it in just the right way. Its a condiment and can be used with all sorts of savoury dishes. I'm surprised you never heard of it in the UK as I think its been around for ages. Well... I think so!

3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Believe it or not, Tesco's has a recipe to make your own which looks rather good:

https://realfood.tesco.com/step-by-step/how-to-make-spicy-chilli-jam.html

Ingredients needed:

2 x 60g packs red chillies

2 large red peppers
    500g tomatoes, halved
    2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tsp grated ginger (2cm piece, peeled)
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    300g soft brown sugar
    100ml white wine vinegar
    1 lemon, juiced
    ½ tsp salt

4. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member

The one we first tasted and rather like is this one, Anthony's Sauces & Condiments, which also has far fewer ingredients. I think it is also much more concentrated that the other one (Beerenberg).

_20190111_150008.JPG _20190111_145941.JPG

It says this about it on their website. They are a local company and they also have something called Sweet Chilli Jam as well so this isn't their sweet one!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    morning glory likes this.
  5. rascal

rascal Senior Member

Available here as well. I also make it, and a chilly sauce that's real hot.

Russ

6. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

I make my brother's recipe once or twice a year and can it.

7. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

Never came across it, but it seems to me very interesting and something to try.
    I wonder how's paired with cheeses..I think well.