Chips (Fries) with...?

“Loaded” fries are huge in Sydney now. Cheese & bacon is common. Cheese, bacon & gravy.

I’m a fan of super crunchy fries and will often ask for my chips to be fried a little longer than whatever is usual, so I’m not keen on toppings as the create sogginess. Same goes for takeaway. I prefer to eat them from a plate in a shop or restaurant than have them wrapped up.

I introduced my meat loving partner to the “snack pack” recently. Kebab meat (shawarma) on top of chips with gravy (on the side) and hot chilli sauce.

At home chips are served up with tomato sauce (ketchup) or bbq sauce (yuck) or whole egg mayo.

My granddaughter loves her chips with store bought aioli. I have made it but store bought is pretty dam good. I twice fry my chips as well, and they are crunchy.

Russ

image.jpg
I have absolutely no idea what chicken salt is, but I think someone might post a pic...

This

I like steak fries and sweet potato fries. Although I don't eat either all that often.

Fries (your chips) go well in that classic dish, Fish and Chips. I really enjoy that when the fish is battered right. That's the place I will use the malt vinegar, too.

I do like SALT on my fries. But not much is needed on sweet potato fries. At any rate, other than those two condiments, I don't dip my fries/chips into ketchup, mustard, mayo, or any other condiment. Even if the fries are served with burgers. But someday I want to try poutine, if only just to try it. Those chili cheese fries look interesting to try, too.

I didn't know you had places which did that in the US. Its a great combo - of either Italian or Jewish origin (the jury is still out on that).

We've had places like that since I was a pre-teen at least in some parts of the country. I remember my mother doing that and it totally grossed me out at the time, actually kind of still does. It's not a flavor combo I like.

Fries (your chips) go well in that classic dish, Fish and Chips. I really enjoy that when the fish is battered right. That's the place I will use the malt vinegar, too.

I love malt vinegar on fish and fries. I do get a few odd looks when I request malt vinegar at the restaurant though.

Those chili cheese fries look interesting to try, too.

Funny Florida story ( @medtran49 & @CraigC )
10 years ago I was at the Tradewinds resort in St Pete Beach for a computer conference. I went to the hotel grille and requested Chili Cheese fries. They had no clue what I was talking about. After a brief explanation, the cook created a luscious plate of Chili cheese fries. Upon seeing them, 3 other patrons ordered a plate. :D

A chip buttie was always the option in tbe party of tbe Midlands that I grew up in. It's also a south Lakes thing as well. Thin sliced white bread (that tasteless version with thin tho no crust and rectangular), loads of butter and chips arranged to point side to side and usually folded over on itself. Personally I did prefer it in a bap (round floury bread roll) with mayo.

Over here we have to remember to say no salt because it comes on chips or steamed veg automatically and it large quantities. Not helpful when you're salt sensitive!

I love malt vinegar on fish and fries. I do get a few odd looks when I request malt vinegar at the restaurant though.

Funny Florida story ( @medtran49 & @CraigC )
10 years ago I was at the Tradewinds resort in St Pete Beach for a computer conference. I went to the hotel grille and requested Chili Cheese fries. They had no clue what I was talking about. After a brief explanation, the cook created a luscious plate of Chili cheese fries. Upon seeing them, 3 other patrons ordered a plate. :D

Chili fries are probably on the menu there now. I'll have to have my brother (he's moving nearby) go in and check!

I like steak fries and sweet potato fries. Although I don't eat either all that often.

I do like SALT on my fries. But not much is needed on sweet potato fries. At any rate, other than those two condiments, I don't dip my fries/chips into ketchup, mustard, mayo, or any other condiment. Even if the fries are served with burgers. But someday I want to try poutine, if only just to try it. Those chili cheese fries look interesting to try, too.

You should try beer batter fish, it's gooooood.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom