Recipe Classic Provençal Fennel, Shallot, Swiss Gruyère Cheese Quiche

Francesca

Local time
11:36 PM
This lovely quiche hails from my French Mom in Law and is an absolute delight ..

Fennel, Shallot, Swiss Gruyere Cheese Quiche .. ( Flaky Crisp Pastry Shell )

1 médium fennel bulb with fronds
1 large shallot minced
2 small minced garlic cloves
3 slices of Bayonne French Ham or Proscuitto
1 cup Swiss Gruyere cheese shredded
5 large eggs ( bio )
1/ 2 cup Creme Fraîche or heavy cream or Home made ricotta ..
1/4 cup whole milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

The Pastry Shell or Crust

1 cup of unbleached bio flour
1 cup of whole mill or whole wheat flour
1 pinch of sea salt
2 sticks of French or French Style butter ( 82 % Butterfat ) sliced into tiny squares
1 / 4 cup ice wáter
One 10 " Round Ceramic Oven Safe Pie or Baking Vessel

1) Measure all the ingredients and place all the dry in a large glass bowl and combine ..
2) Place the glass bowl covered into the freezer ..
3) Slice the butter ..
4) With a stand up mixer or a food processor, combine the flour and butter until it resembles coarse meal and the butter pieces are tiny.
5) Slowly add the ice wáter and carefully form a dough.
6) Once the dough holds together, wrap it in plastic and shape into a disk ..
7) Now freeze for 20 to 25 minutes or place in refrig for 1 hour.
8) Pre heat oven to 200 C degrees.
9) On a work Surface, unwrap the dough and let sit 15 mins.
10) Roll the dough into an 18 inch to 20 inch round - 1/4 inch thick ..
11) Place the quiche dough into the ceramic baking vessel ..
12) Push down the inside edges to extend beyond the edges of the pan ..
12) Prick the crust a few times and bake for 18 to 20 minutes ..
13) Remove from oven and let cool 20 mins.
14) Mince the fennel, the fronds of the fennel, garlic, shallot and the cheese and ham ..
15) Sauté the fennel, garlic, and shallots only in 2 tablespoons of Evoo .. 100% Hojiblanca is possible.
16) Now, combine the eggs, cream and add salt and pepper ..
17) Spread half of the cheese on bottom of the crust and add the ham.
18) Then add the drained thoroughly fennel mixture ..
19) Now add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste ..
20) Add the rest of the Gruyere cheese ..
21) With great caution and very gently, add the egg and cream mixture and pour over the rest of the ingredients ..
22) Adjust salt and pepper ..
23) Now place into the oven @ 180 C Degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until Golden Brown ..
24) Let cool 12 minutes before slicing ..

Serve with a lovely light Green salad of a variety of Kress, Rocket, Radicchio, Oak Leaf lettuce and Endive .. Serve a chilled Rosé or White Prosecco, or Cava or a glass of Champagne or Dry Fino Sherry ..

Last edited:
Me too, looks good and I'll have to remember next time we want quiche as we both like fennel that has been cooked some way, besides the fact we have lots of gruyere to use as we buy it in bulk in a big chunk at the restaurant supply place.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Grand fan of fennel and shallots. My French mom in law does a brilliant job on her quiches .. We must have a thousand varieties .. This is one of my favorites ..

Thank you and have a marvelous holiday season ahead ..

We made this last night and it was really good. I didn't use a crust since we were having fried potatos, but it still came out perfect. Thanks Francesca.

14) Mince the fennel, the fronds of the fennel, garlic, shallot and the cheese and ham ..
15) Sauté the fennel, garlic, and shallots only in 2 tablespoons of Evoo .. 100% Hojiblanca is possible

How finely did you chop (mince) the fennel, @medtran49? And how long did you sauté it for.

Or @Francesca, how does your Mum in law do it?

1/4 inch-ish, didn't time it but until everything was pretty translucent and basically done, not crunchy anymore.

We mince the fennel as I would minced garlic .. Tiny and sauté it first in Evoo ..

Approximately 12 - 15 minutes .. Until just tender ( Al dente) ..

Then of course, I drain all the Evoo .. And pat it dry and add it to the Quiche ..

Same as you would sauté "celery" ..

Back
Top Bottom