Cod and ....

mybike

Veteran
Local time
2:16 AM
Tried out a couple of new ideas that were floating around in my head. First was a sort of accident, I'd had the idea of creating a peanut sauce to pour over the portion of cod loin but I crushed far too much peanut. So instead I laid the peanut on the bottom of the dish and put the cod on top. A little bit of peanut on the top and into the oven @ GM6 for 20 minutes. I was worried it'd be dry but it was very moist and a nice mixture of texture and flavour.

Inspired by that, I decided to wrap a piece of cod in bacon. Since I only had smoked back that was what I used two slices of. Same time and again, a nice mixture. The cod even took on a bit of the smoky flavour.

Have you ever tried dusting the cod ( chopped into thick cubes ) into ground crumbs of hazelnuts, or almonds, or pistachios or walnuts with day old bread crumbs and sprinkled with oregano, garlic minced, and salt & black freshly ground pepper and baking or sauté-ing in Evoo ?

This is a dish called Frecole Baccalà = Breaded Cod fish and hails from Avellino, Campania, Italy, a large almond producer and Irpinia, Campania, a large hazelnut producer ..

Nice idea that you have but I do not eat bacon .. Cod is not a dry fish ..

Also, cod does not require extensive cooking. It should take no more than 8 to 9 minutes per side baked at 180 Degrees in oven centig. degrees depending on fish size ..

Sauté-ing even less time ..

spired by that, I decided to wrap a piece of cod in bacon. Since I only had smoked back that was what I used two slices of. Same time and again, a nice mixture. The cod even took on a bit of the smoky flavour.

Ah - that is interesting. I've cooked cod (and monkfish) wrapped in prosciutto before. Its a similar concept - the sweet cod with the salty bacon taste. I like the idea of using smoked bacon. Was it streaky bacon?

Ah - that is interesting. I've cooked cod (and monkfish) wrapped in prosciutto before. Its a similar concept - the sweet cod with the salty bacon taste. I like the idea of using smoked bacon. Was it streaky bacon?

No, it was back, thick cut, since I had more of that. I thought of raiding my wife's ham.

Have you ever tried dusting the cod ( chopped into thick cubes ) into ground crumbs of hazelnuts, or almonds, or pistachios or walnuts with day old bread crumbs and sprinkled with oregano, garlic minced, and salt & black freshly ground pepper and baking or sauté-ing in Evoo ?

This is a dish called Frecole Baccalà = Breaded Cod fish and hails from Avellino, Campania, Italy, a large almond producer and Irpinia, Campania, a large hazelnut producer ..

Nice idea that you have but I do not eat bacon .. Cod is not a dry fish ..

Also, cod does not require extensive cooking. It should take no more than 8 to 9 minutes per side baked at 180 Degrees in oven centig. degrees depending on fish size ..

Sauté-ing even less time ..

Thanks for the ideas, 180 would be about GM4/5 I take it. Not keen on the idea of turning it tho', and it would still be about 20 mins in the oven.

No, it was back, thick cut, since I had more of that. I thought of raiding my wife's ham.

Thanks for the ideas, 180 would be about GM4/5 I take it. Not keen on the idea of turning it tho', and it would still be about 20 mins in the oven.

FWIW I've tried dropping the time to 17minutes and the texture is better.

Back
Top Bottom