Cooking Hurka Sausage

JamesJ

Veteran
Local time
9:47 PM
Hi. I'm James.
My Mom used to cook a sausage which I'm assuming was Hurka.
My Mom has passed on.
The only thing I remember about this sausage is that it's very light in color compared to other sausages.
I checked the internet on how to cook it. The instructions I found said to place the Hurka at the bottom of a casserole dish. Preheat oven to, I believe it was 350 degrees and place the casserole dish in the oven, covered for about 50 minutes.
The only problem was that all the insides came out. (I sort of expected this).

Can anyone tell me how to cook this sausage and get the inside cooked while it's in the casing??

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

My preferred way to cook Hurka is as follows:

1. Preheat oven to 425F (a convection oven is best but a standard oven will work well too)
2. place the Hurka ring on a raised cooking rack which can be placed on top of a baking sheet (see photo) this allows the juices to drain away and keeps the skin nice and crisp
3. Sometimes I slice a few potatoes into thin dollar shaped slices (use whatever thickness you desire) and lay them as a bed under the cooking rack
4. Cook for about 25 minutes to crisp the skin then turn down heat to 325F and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes (depending on the size/weight of the Hurka ring).
When the internal temp reaches 165F you're good to go.

This method should keep the casing from splitting

Attachments

• 20141017_175605.jpg
    20141017_175605.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 981
Here's the finished product (see photo below)

Attachments

• 20141017_184555.jpg
    20141017_184555.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 1,123
I've never had this particular type of sausage before, so I am not sure what is in it or if it already comes pre cooked and simply needs re-heated and browned or if it's completely raw. Generally speaking though, when I make Italian Sausage it's not uncommon for the meat to pop out of the ends, especially if the sausage was cut into smaller pieces to begin with before baking. I believe it partially has to do with the casing contracting during the cooking process. I run into a similar problem when I make bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cheese - the bacon contracts and squeezes out the cheese.

We usually poke the sausages a few times with a fork to allow some of the internal pressure to release while cooking. Some people prefer to boil their sausage first, then bake it or grill it, to ensure that it is cooked all the way through and to render out some of the fat. You could poke it a few times, boil it, then bake it in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom