Cooking in South Louisiana

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
11:29 PM
@morning glory suggested a thread on Cajun Cooking. I decided to make it south Louisiana.

Lafayette and the surrounding Parishes (counties) are referred to as Acadiana. Lafayette is called the Hub City. Acadiana has the largest concentration of Acadians (Cajuns) in the state. NOLA (New Orleans) has modified and claimed many dishes that were originally Acadian. Needless to say there is ongoing discussion about authenticity.

I do not have time to start posting recipes right now - busy day planned. I will start posting this weekend.

I look forward to sharing our traditional recipes as well as some of my creations that use traditional ingredients and techniques with my own twist.

Later

@morning glory suggested a thread on Cajun Cooking. I decided to make it south Louisiana.

Lafayette and the surrounding Parishes (counties) are referred to as Acadiana. Lafayette is called the Hub City. Acadiana has the largest concentration of Acadians (Cajuns) in the state. NOLA (New Orleans) has modified and claimed many dishes that were originally Acadian. Needless to say there is ongoing discussion about authenticity.

I do not have time to start posting recipes right now - busy day planned. I will start posting this weekend.

I look forward to sharing our traditional recipes as well as some of my creations that use traditional ingredients and techniques with my own twist.

Later

I look forward to seeing some recipes! - but if you are posting entire recipes please post as a separate thread (with Recipe prefix) in the appropriate section and then put a link here. This is just one of our rules - the reason being that the search facility may not find a recipe if it is buried within another thread.

Saw this book on Amazon. It looks to be very 'authentic'. Do you know the book @ElizabethB?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1558328...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1506094428&sr=8-8
61+7OMm1A6L._SX424_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

@morning glory

IDK about the cook book. I'll send you some titles and or Chef's who's recipes you can research.

Since both Cajun and Creole cuisine have gained such popularity both nationally and internationally I am leery of cook books. Too many are compiled by people who do not know anything about authentic, traditional Cajun and Creole cooking. They are cashing in on a cash cow.

Please explain to me how to post a recipe in another forum/thread and link it here.

:thankyou:

@jennyb

Acadian and Cajun are interchangeable. Descendants of French Acadians. Creole refers to people of mixed ethnicity and is a style of cooking developed in the NOLA area.

A short description of the difference between Acadian/Cajun and Creole cooking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Menuism/cajun-vs-creole_b_1447822.html

Red Beans and Andouille Sausage

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/red-beans-and-andouille-sausage-over-rice.10892/

There is much disagreement on the origins of Red Beans and Rice.

Andouille is a traditional French smoked pork sausage. It was brought to South Louisiana by the Acadians. Andouille differs from other smoked sausage in that the meat is more coarsely ground. It was traditionally made with scraps including the pork stomach. It was grey in color and had a funky smell. Today it is made with pork shank and pork shoulder. It is still coarsely ground. The real deal is larger in diameter than commercially produced Andouille or other smoked pork sausage. The pig intestines are used for the casing. It is still available at rural meat markets and slaughter houses in the Acadiana area.

Red Beans and Rice is traditionally served as a noon meal on Mondays. Monday was "wash day" (laundry day). The Mama in the house hold would get up early and start a pot of red beans and rice. She would put it on a back burner and let it simmer all morning while she did the laundry.

Today many restaurants in both Acadiana and NOLA have Red Beans and Rice on their Monday lunch menu. The Andouille is not always list - it is a given.

Tabasco Sauce is always on the table to add a dash or two to the dish. Kick it up.

Hope you enjoy the recipe and the little bit of history that goes with it.

:)

Last edited:
The real deal is larger in diameter than commercially produced Andouille or other smoked pork sausage. The pig intestines are used for the casing. It is still available at rural meat markets and slaughter houses in the Acadiana area.

I've eaten something similar in France (Andouillette) and yes - it has a funky smell. I don't remember if it was smoked but I don't think so. Quite delicious. I'm not sure if I can buy it here but will check it out.

Last edited:
As I mentioned Cajun Andouille is now made with pork shank and shoulder - no funky smell from the stomach. It is produced commercially and if not available use a good smoked pork sausage instead. It is all about the flavor from the smoked sausage. :happy:

I wish @ElizabethB would return! There are some wonderful seafood from south Louisiana and I want to see more of her and George's recipes!

I've been to new orlens a couple of times. Its hard to find vegetarian food there. We ended up at a sandwich shop on the north side of the french quarter and i had a veggie po boy. Ended the day with some beignets which i frankly didn't see the huge deal everyone was making about them as i found them greasy and doughy...i gave them to my traveling companions and they scarfed them down. The city is awsome tho, full of unusual people doing unusual things.

Back
Top Bottom