Cooking Myths

It just isn't true. To really get food properly seasoned, the seasoning must be introduced early in the process so that the combination of flavors has time to properly evolve.
I have to disagree with you on that one, FL. While this maxim might apply to some Western foods, I can cite several Indian dishes in which seasoning takes place at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end of the cooking process. And while it´s great to get the seasoning right at the beginning, sometimes that doesn´t happen, so you need to adjust . I´m with Pablo on this one.

As for oiling and rinsing pasta: Antonio Carluccio suggests using oil for cooking lasagna, to prevent the sheets sticking together, but only for lasagna.
As for rinsing it - I don´t see the point. Swish it around in the pan with the sauce and some of the cooking water, but washing it off? You´re going to make the pasta cold to start with, and eliminate some of that starchy goodness!

I have to disagree with you on that one, FL. While this maxim might apply to some Western foods, I can cite several Indian dishes in which seasoning takes place at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end of the cooking process. And while it´s great to get the seasoning right at the beginning, sometimes that doesn´t happen, so you need to adjust . I´m with Pablo on this one.
Salting at the beginning for most applications is one the great missed opportunities in cooking that I see today. And of course seasoning as we go as opposed to at the very end is another missed opportunity. imo.

OK - I´ll bite.:D:D
But why would I want to?

:laugh: Because its a bit quicker really and maybe saves energy. But only if you have an electric kettle. I spent a lot of time trying this out and discovered on my journey that a huge proportion of Americans don't own electric kettles, whereas here in the UK everyone does.

Here is the link: Recipe - How to boil an egg in the microwave

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a communication gap here, the original myth was "Seasoning food can be done at any time in the cooking process." Depending on how you interpret that statement, its either obviously wrong, or obviously right.

If you think it means "It doesn't matter when you season your food!" that's obviously false. It matters a great deal - salting early gives the salt time to work its way into the food and draw out moisture. It also gives it more time to evenly disperse. Salting at the end is best for making the final adjustments, because all the other flavors would have developed by that point and you just need to dial in that last element.

I think its absolutely normal to season both at the beginning and end of a recipe (and in between), in fact I think its pretty odd if you add salt only at a single stage.

You may be right. When I say "seasoning" it often means " adding herbs and spices " to a dish. Perhaps FL meant "adding salt" only.

No, I didn't. Salt, by itself, can be considered a seasoning, but it is not the only seasoning. Herbs and spices are also seasonings. Even a marinade might be considered as seasoning, although that isn't typical.

You may be right. When I say "seasoning" it often means " adding herbs and spices " to a dish. Perhaps FL meant "adding salt" only.
No we would be specific if someone wanted a person to add any herb or spice. In pretty much all recipes where measurements were given for specific herbs and spices and then at the end it might say "adjust for seasoning, or season to taste" doesn't mean they want you to add more of the herbs or spices that you used. In culinary terms asking someone to season something is to adjust for the saltiness, so yes it to see if it requires salt or not.

Last edited:
No we would be specific if someone wanted a person to add any herb or spice. In pretty much all recipes where measurements were given for specific herbs and spices and then at the end it might say "adjust for seasoning, or season to taste" doesn't mean they want you to add more of the herbs or spices that you used. In culinary terms asking someone to season something is to adjust for the saltiness, so yes it to see if it requires salt or not.

Seasoning is officially defined as any ingredient, salt, herbs or spices, added to enhance flavor.

Seasoning is officially defined as any ingredient, salt, herbs or spices, added to enhance flavor.
Your taking people to task that herbs and spices can be considered seasoning, which they are, so therefore your right. By all means continue to believe this, that is your prerogative. If my clarification to KK doesn't align with your ideology, I'm ok with that.

That is my understanding. The phrase 'season to taste' I take to mean just that when seen in formal recipes. I believe Larousse Gastronomique concurs with that (though I will check). However, if one looks at wider definitions and uses of the word, it does include herbs and spices used to flavour a dish. There are plenty of examples of ready-made 'seasonings' which contain herbs and spices 'Old Bay seasoning' etc.

For example, if I asked someone 'what type of seasonings have you used in that dish?', I think they would understand that I meant herbs and spices etc. used to flavour the dish.

Its one of those words which can mean different things according to context.

That is my understanding. The phrase 'season to taste' I take to mean just that when seen in formal recipes. I believe Larousse Gastronomique concurs with that (though I will check). However, if one looks at wider definitions and uses of the word, it does include herbs and spices used to flavour a dish. There are plenty of examples of ready-made 'seasonings' which contain herbs and spices 'Old Bay seasoning' etc.

For example, if I asked someone 'what type of seasonings have you used in that dish?', I think they would understand that I meant herbs and spices etc. used to flavour the dish.

Its one of those words which can mean different things according to context.
Yes, critical thinking is required because it can have more than one meaning. Context and basic knowledge of cooking in general won't have a problem with this basic definition. Just like if someone that has good cooking knowledge was asked if the seasoning (aka balance) in a curry dish for example is missing something, then the context will shift and a spice might be highlighted or a herb or sugar, vinegar or maybe alcohol. Time to put our thinking and interpretation hat on or it might be a very long day in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom