Cooking when travelling

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
8:36 AM
Don't think this is off topic as it is about travel and food.

One of the most useful tips I ever heard was from Stewart Lee (the comedian) who said when touring a show the complete lack of clean vegetables or hot food options that aren't high fat or just cold dull mayonnaise laden sandwiches was what got him down most.
Motorway service food is bad. Hotels never skimp on the fat salt or sugar that makes you go yum when you have it occasionally (because you tend to cook differently at home) but you soon get fed up with it.

When I did a bike tour of the UK I didn't have an end date and moved to another place every day or so. The freedom of being a temporary vagabond was really great fun but after 3 weeks of having to eat every meal out I abruptly ended it and went home as fast as possible because I really needed some proper food especially veg 😆

So when Stewart Lee explained that all motorway services have a microwave for heating up baby milk and you can use it to heat up any food you want it was a very handy tip indeed.

Flask cooking is also an option but that really takes some mastering as different size flasks and different pastas/noodles/rices cook at different speeds, get it wrong and its not cooked or worse and most commonly it turns to mush because it's overcooked by the time you get to it. That was a very long experimental kitchen that went on for two weeks!

This book was the most useful one I ever read for sport, food and portability. They say just pack a hot plate and cook in your hotel room. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that, I don't know why!
Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes (The Feed Zone Series) : Biju Thomas, Allen Lim: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Another top tip for hotel room cooking which I'm yet to try is Kettle cooking. You need to take a full size kettle with a concealed element and plastic roasting bags. The bag prevents any damage to the kettle. You put your bag of food in the kettle of water (catching the top of the bag with the lid) and the food boils in the bag. Apparently it does a nice boiled egg and poaches salmon very well indeed.

One guy said a cheap supermarket kettle cost less than one meal so he just buys one when he gets to his destination! A bit wasteful but I can see his point. Eating out three times a day everyday gets very wearing after a couple of weeks. All your time seems to be used up schlepping backwards and forwards just getting something to eat!

Anyone tried kettle cooking?

Back
Top Bottom