Cooking with lavender

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
1:34 PM
D0AEB09C-5062-48A5-BA91-B97B1F01275F.jpeg

I’m currently surrounded by lavender bushes, and keen to find a culinary use for them. I have come across a few recipes for sweet dishes that use lavender, but sweet dishes are really not my thing. I am struggling to find any savoury dishes (veg, meat or fish) that use lavender. I have a couple of ideas, but any suggestions would be very welcome

View attachment 25385
I’m currently surrounded by lavender bushes, and keen to find a culinary use for them. I have come across a few recipes for sweet dishes that use lavender, but sweet dishes are really not my thing. I am struggling to find any savoury dishes (veg, meat or fish) that use lavender. I have a couple of ideas, but any suggestions would be very welcome

Unfortunately I have no familiarity with either the savory dishes based on lavender, or the sweet ones. I only made cookies once, but I had the feeling of chewing the washing-up liquid (good lavander cookies are another thing, I know).
Then? I join your request about suggestions

I think lavender can be used in the sort of recipes to which you might add Rosemary. So roast lamb for example. But you need to be sparing.

How about making lavender salt? Combining the dried leaves with fleur de sel or sea salt, and storing it in a pretty airtight jar? There are some ez methods on the web. Perhaps use the salt as a rub for beef, on lamb (chops), on roast chicken, fish, scallops, in soups, salads, on fruits (melon, watermelon), Margaritas?

How about making lavender salt? Combining the dried leaves with fleur de sel or sea salt, and storing it in a pretty airtight jar? There are some ez methods on the web. Perhaps use the salt as a rub for beef, on lamb (chops), on roast chicken, fish, scallops, in soups, salads, on fruits (melon, watermelon), Margaritas?
Great idea! That will have to wait until I get home though.

I've found a few great ideas in a marvellous book by Chef Paul Gayler. I'll photograph and post them. Fowl does seem a good way to go based on the recipes there so yes to duck. Paul Gayler is not a TV chef so not very well known - but I can thoroughly recommend. He is often vegetarian friendly too.

It also occurred to me to make lavender homemade pasta. Perhaps dry the lavender first? A light, buttery, lemony sauce topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or sprinkling of fresh flat-leaf parsley might be nice.

Back
Top Bottom