CookingBites dish of the month (August 2022): quiche/savoury tart

Looks good! Do you have a photo of a slice so we can see the filling?

How did you deal with the mushrooms? I'm presuming you pre-cooked them?

I sautéed the shrooms and asparagus, and pan fried the ham.

I broke some of the crust when I cut the quiche, but here is a slice image.

Quiche002.jpg

CD

I suppose the best way to ensure the crimping is "perfect" is to have the raw pastry overlapping the edge of the dish; do the crimping, then gently cut away the excess pastry. That´s what I do, and yes, it´s a bit a pain when it doesn´t turn out perfect, but what the heck, because it´s only you and your family who are going to eat it, generally.
Or employ a pastry chef. :laugh: :laugh:

Having never put dough in a pie plate (Corning glass 9-inch), I didn't know how to get that typical crust edge. I simply used a fork, and then cut off the excess dough. It looks "okay," but not great. The edge also got pretty fragile. The crust under the filling was spot on.

CD

Having never put dough in a pie plate (Corning glass 9-inch), I didn't know how to get that typical crust edge. I simply used a fork, and then cut off the excess dough. It looks "okay," but not great. The edge also got pretty fragile. The crust under the filling was spot on.

CD
I could care less about proper crimping! It looks delicious to me. I like extra crust so I usually just fold the excess crust on mine over and crimp it like that. Some people don't like a lot of crust I guess and feel the need to cut it away, and they probably don't eat that part of the crust even when it is thinner.

That is the most important thing. There is nothing worse than a soggy bottom.
Actually that comment made me giggle since just a few days ago my 2 and 1/2 year old granddaughter was running around with a soggy bottom. I don't change nappies so I called my husband in the house to do it, LOL!

I didn't do anything fancy with the arrangement. I could have done some mushroom slices on the top, but this time around after a day cooking, I decided to stick with the easy option...

The pastry was made with porcini mushroom powder (homemade in the spice grinder). The egg replacement was tofu & chickpea flour with nutritional yeast, miso and some spices. I'll edit them for next time around. I still have ½ the pastry and ½ the wild mushrooms so it will be quicker and easier on Sunday for attempt 2.

But as a first try at a vegan quiche (just for the satisfaction and my recent blood test results) it was a very good start. Hubby liked it and asked for it again, so that's always a good sign.

It slices really well. My pastry was a little too shortcut but it didn't shrink at all.

Last night I baked a conrflour quiche, filling was tofu, zucchini, eggs and garlic and some dry dill. Tomatoes are home grown by my boyfriend, in his garden.
The crust is lovely, I should have put some grease in the filling though, I think...do you put some oil or other grease in your quiche fillings?
The filling tastes good, but some grease and more salt would have been perfect.

Last night I baked a conrflour quiche

Would like to hear more about that. Do you mean you used cornflour for the pastry?

You asked about putting oil in the filling. Well I've not come across that other than the fat contained in milk or cream - the classic filling is eggs and cream or milk. Maybe because you didn't include dairy it was missing that fat?

Would like to hear more about that. Do you mean you used cornflour for the pastry?

You asked about putting oil in the filling. Well I've not come across that other than the fat contained in milk or cream - the classic filling is eggs and cream or milk. Maybe because you didn't include dairy it was missing that fat?
I believe that's exactly right about the filling. I imagine there is a way to thicken almond or another plant-based milk to use as a filling that could help with whatever is lacking.

I believe that Timenspace is trying to stay gluten free as well as dairy free. Edited to add that I bet SatNavSaysStraightOn could give tips on that.

I believe that's exactly right about the filling. I imagine there is a way to thicken almond or another plant-based milk to use as a filling that could help with whatever is lacking.

I believe that Timenspace is trying to stay gluten free as well as dairy free. Edited to add that I bet SatNavSaysStraightOn could give tips on that.

I don't know what to say. Corn flour is something different here than in the UK, so I don't know what Timenspace used. I also am not gluten or dairy free, so I'm lost there, too.

CD

I don't know what to say. Corn flour is something different here than in the UK, so I don't know what Timenspace used. I also am not gluten or dairy free, so I'm lost there, too.

CD
She's actually from Croatia...but yeah.

Back
Top Bottom