Copelands of New Orleans (restaurant)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:30 PM
Whilst internet food burrowing (for aubergine recipes) I came across Copelands restaurant which has been serving a dish called Eggplant Pirogue since 1983. Has anyone here eaten at Copelands (they have several restaurants) or indeed, eaten the pirogue? I was thinking of attempting to make something based on the idea.

I have been to New Orleans many times since when I lived in Florida I went there regularly as a young adult (1981-2000). I had to do a Google search since I have never heard of it, and apparently they don't have any locations actually in New Orleans.

I looked over their menu, and it looks absolutely delicious. I would have a hard time figuring out what to eat! As for the pirogue, yes, I would eat that. I think I may have finally found an eggplant dish that I would love. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I've heard of Copeland's, but have never dined there.

Did you mean Pierogi? Those are popular in Pittsburgh and other cities with a significant Polish community. I never had Pierogis there, either. They are on my culinary to-do list.

CD

Whilst internet food burrowing (for aubergine recipes) I came across Copelands restaurant which has been serving a dish called Eggplant Pirogue since 1983. Has anyone here eaten at Copelands (they have several restaurants) or indeed, eaten the pirogue? I was thinking of attempting to make something based on the idea.

I've heard of Copeland's, but have never dined there.

Did you mean Pierogi? Those are popular in Pittsburgh and other cities with a significant Polish community. I never had Pierogis there, either. They are on my culinary to-do list.

CD

It is pirogue, which means a small boat similar to a canoe, not pierogi, which is an ENTIRELY different thing.

Craig tried to make an eggplant pirogue in the last eggplant challenge, but chose unwisely in that he used Japanese eggplants, which were way too thin. I found his picture when I was looking for my ratatouille picture.

There are several eggplant recipes in Chef Prudhome's cookbooks. I was actually going to look in 1 of them, just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:
I had a little tickle in the brain so asked Craig. We took everybody to eat at a Copeland's, I think in Kenner, shortly before DD and SIL got married about 22 years ago. Got lost coming back because future SIL had a lead foot and went thru a red light in front of us that we got stuck at. Not happy about that considering neighborhood that I was driving around in trying to find way back to hotel near their apartment.

Last edited:
I have been to New Orleans many times since when I lived in Florida I went there regularly as a young adult (1981-2000). I had to do a Google search since I have never heard of it, and apparently they don't have any locations actually in New Orleans.

I think it was originally in New Orleans. The founder was from there. Branches are here:

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 19.31.31.png

Did you mean Pierogi?

No its on all their menus as pirogue. Pirogue, I learned, means a narrow boat often used by Cajuns because of its ability to skim across the shallow swamps in South Louisiana. Seems to me it should be aubergine halves or quarters rather than slices in this dish (so more like a boat).

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 19.37.43.png

Seems to me it should be aubergine halves or quarters rather than slices in this dish (so more like a boat).

View attachment 103396

Yes, we've used zucchini to make pirogues. If you can find fat Japanese eggplant, they would be perfect. Craig used really skinny ones, like not any wider than a large shrimp lying on its side, and they just didn't work.

Yes, we've used zucchini to make pirogues. If you can find fat Japanese eggplant, they would be perfect. Craig used really skinny ones, like not any wider than a large shrimp lying on its side, and they just didn't work.

Not likely so I'll have to improvise. I wonder if Copelands originally used 'slices'?

Most of the copycat recipes show circular slices of eggplant - but I found this from Copelands Atlanta:

View: https://www.facebook.com/copelandsatlanta/photos/a.170593913055022/3285300164917699/?type=3

Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 19.58.47.png

Eggplant, zucchini and rice pirogues are all used in Chef Paul's books, as well as mirliton/chayote, though they aren't the correct shape. All of the vegetable ones are fried with a bread crumb coating, though I quite often skip that with the zucchini and mirliton/chayote ones. I can't remember how the rice pirogue was cooked as I only made it once long ago as it was just too much work, nice presentation in a restaurant, but for home, nah.

I think it was originally in New Orleans. The founder was from there. Branches are here:

View attachment 103395

No its on all their menus as pirogue. Pirogue, I learned, means a narrow boat often used by Cajuns because of its ability to skim across the shallow swamps in South Louisiana. Seems to me it should be aubergine halves or quarters rather than slices in this dish (so more like a boat).

View attachment 103396
Yes, I had to select a location to view the menu, and I chose Slidell because it's the only other city in Louisiana that I have spent much time in.

I personally would prefer them in thinner slices so that they have a more crispy texture, but then with me not being an eggplant lover...

I think any seafood would be wonderful with this.

I wondered if they (Copeland's) had any affiliation with Popeye's Fried Chicken and the answer is yes. All Copeland's nephew and wife were massage clients of mine when I lived in Destin, where they used to vacation pretty regularly. They had a couple of beach houses there. Nice people.

Al Copeland - Wikipedia

Other businesses and investments​

Copeland owned several restaurant chains, including Copeland's, Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro, Amor deBrazil, and Copeland's Social City, as well as the Improv comedy clubs located in California and Pittsburgh, and three hotels.[citation needed]

Copeland's is a chain of cajun restaurants. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but other cajun chains I've been to are not very good. Landry's in Houston and Dallas are terrible. Pappadeax in Houston and Dallas is pretty decent.

The closest Copeland's to me would be Shreveport, which is in Northern Louisiana. The menu at that location did not look very cajun to me. Chicken Parm? Crawfish Ravioli? Blackened Shrimp Alfredo Pizza Pasta Bowl????? WTF is that????

Shreveport, LA - Copeland's of New Orleans

Since I don't like eggplant, I can't really give advice on that particular dish. Try it, and tell us what you think. If you like it, enter it in the challenge.

CD

Copeland's is a chain of cajun restaurants. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but other cajun chains I've been to are not very good. Landry's in Houston and Dallas are terrible. Pappadeax in Houston and Dallas is pretty decent.

The closest Copeland's to me would be Shreveport, which is in Northern Louisiana. The menu at that location did not look very cajun to me. Chicken Parm? Crawfish Alfredo?

Shreveport, LA - Copeland's of New Orleans

Since I don't like eggplant, I can't really give advice on that particular dish. Try it, and tell us what you think. If you like it, enter it in the challenge.

CD
I don't like eggplant either, but smother it in sauce with a pile of delicious seafood and I might love it!

Kenner and Harvey are both suburbs of NOLA. The kids lived in Kenner for a while.

When I drove to my Dad's in Mississippi, I'd always stop on my way home in Slidell at a place that had excellent quality crawfish at a fair price and load up with 60 to 80 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom