Recipe Corned Beef

Local time
4:18 AM
Making your own corned beef requires patience.....but its totally worth it!

To make your own corned beef you'll need:

1. The meat:
- beef - approx 2kg of brisket. If its rolled when you buy it you'll need to either unroll it or at least loosen it off a bit so that the brine can get to the middle

2. Make a pickling spice (which you'll use later in steps 3 & 5):
- 20g corriander seeds
- 20g mustard seeds
- 20g peppercorns
- 12g chili flakes
- 14g allspice berries
- 8g ground mace
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 6g whole cloves
- 8g ground ginger
In a dry frying pan, toast the corriander, mustard seeds and peppercorns, then lightly crush them in a pestle and mortar and add the rest of the ingredients.
Store in an airtight jar.

3. Make the brine:
- 450g salt
- 100g sugar
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 25g prague powder #1 (sodium nitrite)
- 20g pickling spice
Add the brine ingredients to four litres of water and bring to a simmer, stirring so that the sugar and salt totally dissolve.
Let the brine cool completely.

4. Brine the meat
Put the meat in a container which will fit in your fridge, pour over the cool brine making sure the meat is completely covered. If needed, use a plate to weight the meat down to keep it fully submerged in the brine.
Refrigerate for at least 5 days, turning the beef over every couple of days.

5. Cook the meat
Remove the meat from the brine and rinse under cold running water.
Put the meat in your cooking pan, cover with fresh water and add another 20g of the pickling spice and then cook according to your preferred method:
- The original recipe calls for simmering the meat gently on the hob for 3 hours.
- I used my pressure cooker, so I reduced the amount of water by half cooked it for about 70 mins (electric pressure cooker, a stovetop one would be quicker as they generally reach a higher pressure)
- You could probably also braise it in the oven, but I don't have any timings for that as I haven't tried that way.

Original recipe from here:http://www.them-apples.co.uk/2014/05/how-to-make-corned-beef/

I don't really care much for it but my sister always makes her own corned beef and everyone loves it. She gives a lot of it away to other family and friends.

I have never heard of anyone making their own corned beef before. The canned corned beef is getting kind of hard to find around these parts. I am sure the home made variety would taste much better than the store version which is nothing to get excited about really. It is just beef and salt..but it is really good in a corned beef and cabbage or a New England Boiled dinner.

I love corned beef and cabbage and boiled dinners. I've never even considered making my own, but after reading your recipe @MrsDangermouse, this is something I will definitely consider doing if I ever have a larger, more functional kitchen. I had no idea what was involved, and seeing all of the lovely spices listed in the recipe has got my mouth watering. I didn't realize that so many of my favorites were used in creating corned beef.

Home made corned beef is nothing like the tinned stuff many people think of,
Like a lot of cured and brined beef dishes it's worth the effort

Here's a different recipe for corned beef. We've made this many times. It came from David Rosengarten who hosted one of the original shows on Food Network. The show was called Taste and he has a cookbook by the same name. He's not a chef, just a very good cook who enjoys eating, cooking and traveling. His recipe for crab cakes is the absolute best we've ever had, his moussaka is the only one I'll eat, and he makes a pretty mean boeuf bourguignon as well. He was the forerunner of Alton Brown, without the oddness/craziness and a little more on the history side than necessarily the whys when explaining things. His original recipe calls for 2 cups of salt, but I reduced that some because the last couple of times we made this it was a bit salty for us and we had to soak the meat in plain water.

If you can't get a whole brisket, then, of course, just use what you can get and reduce the brine amounts and cooking times appropriately.

Jewish-style corned beef

Brine

One 12-pound whole brisket
4 quarts water
1-1/2 cups Kosher salt
1 teaspoon saltpeter or cure #1 pink salt (Prague powder)
5 bay leaves
7 cloves garlic, smashed
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon allspice berries
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar

Add all ingredients to a large pot, except brisket and garlic. Bring to a boil and then allow to cool to room temperature. Place garlic and brisket in a large plastic, glass or good stainless container and add brine mixture. Place a plate or 2 on top to make sure brisket is entirely submerged. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 weeks, turning brisket over after 1-1/2 weeks.

Remove meat from the brine and rinse. Cut off a small piece and cook. Taste. If too salty, soak for several hours in plain water.

Add to a steamer pot:

1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons peppercorns
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup salt

Add enough water to come just under the steamer insert. Place brisket in steamer and steam for about 3 hours until tender. Check water level from time to time so that it doesn't dry out. You want to keep the water temperature at about a high simmer so that it produces a nice amount of steam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom