Could a test-tube burger save the planet?

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
7:05 AM
Test Tube Burger
ttb.jpg
"The most expensive burger ever made was served in London today(August 5, 2013). It cost more than $300,000 — thanks, Google's Sergey Brin — and didn't taste very good. But the texture was right, and it saved a cow. Maybe one day it can save the Earth.

That's the real play behind the test-tube burgers. The hope, according to Dutch scientist Mark Post, who led the team, is that they can eventually help stop global warming.

The case for moving away from raising and slaughtering animals for food is typically portrayed in terms of animal welfare. But increasingly the argument is about planetary welfare: Meat is simply a huge, huge contributor to climate change, and it's only going to get bigger as the billions of people in emerging economies begin demanding the meat-heavy diets they associate with wealth.

In this 2009 column, I laid out some of the numbers behind this debate. They're worth thinking about today. The column is slightly edited from its original version.

According to a 2006 United Nations report, livestock accounts for 18 percent of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. That's larger than the entire transportation sector. Burgers, in other words, are doing more damage to the planet than SUVs.

Some of meat's contribution to climate change is intuitive. It's more energy efficient to grow grain and feed it to people than it is to grow grain and turn it into feed that we give to calves until they become adults that we then slaughter to feed to people. Some of the contribution is gross. "Manure lagoons," for instance, is the oddly evocative name for the acres of animal excrement that sit in the sun steaming nitrous oxide into the atmosphere. And some of it would make Bart Simpson chuckle. Cow gas — interestingly, it's mainly burps, not flatulence — is a real player.

But the result isn't funny at all: Two researchers at the University of Chicago estimated that switching to a vegan diet would have a bigger impact than trading in your gas guzzler for a Prius (PDF). A study out of Carnegie Mellon University found that the average American would do less for the planet by switching to a totally local diet than by going vegetarian one day a week. That prompted Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, to recommend that people give up meat one day a week to take pressure off the atmosphere. The response was quick and vicious. "How convenient for him," was the inexplicable reply from a columnist at the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. "He's a vegetarian.""
"

That's a hell of a costly burger, and I thought McDonald's was expensive. Buy that quorn stuff instead. Its a lot cheaper, and it also does away with the problem of farting cows polluting the air.

So a worldwide cull on all the cute furry animals in the rainforests and the pets and a large proportion of the human population is also in order then ? On a chances of global warming [which seems to be VERY absent around here at the moment] vs us blowing it all up in another war I'd worry less about the burgers.

Good lord. What a happy upbeat bright person you are. :laugh:. I didnt see anything in classics intro about killing furry animals, or any animals. Im off to slash my wrists now. I may not be back :laugh::laugh:, but first i'll have something to eat.

That's a hell of a costly burger, and I thought McDonald's was expensive. Buy that quorn stuff instead. Its a lot cheaper, and it also does away with the problem of farting cows polluting the air.
You'll be having two then?

I was reading the article but I am not sure if I read something about the ingredients used or where did that burger come from. Anyway, there are other options you can choose to make a burger. A burger made from peas or besan flour tastes even better. A quick research will lead you to a multitude of options without having to spend a fortune on a single burger. That burger on a petri dish does not look good to me I am afraid

Read articles similar to this before and medical reports on how to basicly grow skin from samples in lab conditions ,any thing can be done ,i have friends who do research,after years of campaigns for true food ,and the circle of life for cattle,they have more advantages than destruction of the ozone
I hope it never happens in my life ,

Back
Top Bottom