Recipe Crab Stuffed Baked Flounder

Slumgullioneer

Über Member
Local time
6:48 AM
Just concocted this a few days ago, on our anniversary.
It was really good, but I still consider it a work in progress.

CRAB STUFFED FLOUNDER
Six pieces flounder, thick enough to stuff
1/2 medium sized onion chopped medium fine
2 celery stalks chopped medium fine
3 cloves minced garlic
White wine
2T olive oil
parmesan cheese
seasoned bread crumbs
1 C shredded crabmeat or shredded imitation crab

-------------------------------------------------------------

-Thaw your flounders to "cold room temp".
-Heat oil and about 1/3 c wine over med heat in saute pan
2 T olive oil in saute pan, get it hot, add onions and celery
-Add onions, garlic, celery to heated saute pan
-Cook to Au Sec while stirring frequently, and onions transparent, then remove from heat.
-Cool just til warm, then add shredded crab, 2T parm cheese.
-Butterfly cut the flounders lengthwise, until they can "hinge" open.
-In 2 separate shallow bowls, place 2T wine in one, and 1part parm cheese, one part bread crumbs in the other.
-Stuff each flounder with warm stuffing mix, then coat each piece with wine, then dredge each side in breadcrumbs, placing each breaded piece in baking pan.
-Bake at 375° for 15 minutes covered, then 20 minutes uncovered, til crust is firm.

Last edited by a moderator:
shredded imitation crab

This sounds alarming! :laugh: What is imitation crab?

I like the sound of the recipe as I adore crab and fish in general and its always interesting to learn new ways to cook it. I am not sure I can get flounder but assume another flat fish would substitute.

I was intrigued by using wine, parmesan and breadcrumbs to coat the fish - well mainly by the wine. I'm more used to flour, eggs, parmesan/ breadcrumbs.

Its also interesting that you 'butterfly' the fillets. Most stuffed flat fish recipes call for rolling.

Nice to hear its intruging.
1. Imitation crab is a common item in the grocery stores here. Its a fish product, textured and flavored and colored like crab. Only way cheaper. It even "shreds" like crab.
Its not perfect, and certainly not as good as real crab, but a good product, used extensively by restaurants.
2. You can use another type fish, but to butterfly it
it needs to be fairly thick.
3. Another variation when butterflying is to open it up, cut side down dip it in parmesan cheese, then lightly fry just the inside. Then stuff, close and cook per usual.
4. I use white wine in cooking extensively. Seafood absorbs flavors when marinaded, but certain veggies like onions and mushrooms absorb acids very well when cooked.
White-wine basted and scrambled eggs are a staple in my kitchen.

4. I use white wine in cooking extensively. Seafood absorbs flavors when marinaded, but certain veggies like onions and mushrooms absorb acids very well when cooked.
So do I. I just haven't used it when making a coating with breadcrumbs.

I'm now wondering if imitation crab is the same as the 'crab sticks' we get in the UK. I think they are also called Surimi sticks.
They look strangely like rhubarb sticks! :

Unknown-170.jpg

White-wine basted and scrambled eggs are a staple in my kitchen.
This I need to know about! :hungry:

So do I. I just haven't used it when making a coating with breadcrumbs.

I'm now wondering if imitation crab is the same as the 'crab sticks' we get in the UK. I think they are also called Surimi sticks.
They look strangely like rhubarb sticks! :

View attachment 10693
Yes those are definitely imitation crab leg meats.

This I need to know about! :hungry:
I'll post it in a recipe thread when i get the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just concocted this a few days ago, on our anniversary.
It was really good, but I still consider it a work in progress.

CRAB STUFFED FLOUNDER
Six pieces flounder, thick enough to stuff
1/2 medium sized onion chopped medium fine
2 celery stalks chopped medium fine
3 cloves minced garlic
White wine
2T olive oil
parmesan cheese
seasoned bread crumbs
1 C shredded crabmeat or shredded imitation crab

-------------------------------------------------------------

-Thaw your flounders to "cold room temp".
-Heat oil and about 1/3 c wine over med heat in saute pan
2 T olive oil in saute pan, get it hot, add onions and celery
-Add onions, garlic, celery to heated saute pan
-Cook to Au Sec while stirring frequently, and onions transparent, then remove from heat.
-Cool just til warm, then add shredded crab, 2T parm cheese.
-Butterfly cut the flounders lengthwise, until they can "hinge" open.
-In 2 separate shallow bowls, place 2T wine in one, and 1part parm cheese, one part bread crumbs in the other.
-Stuff each flounder with warm stuffing mix, then coat each piece with wine, then dredge each side in breadcrumbs, placing each breaded piece in baking pan.
-Bake at 375° for 15 minutes covered, then 20 minutes uncovered, til crust is firm.
Nice simple recipe for a tasty dish...would you consider using jumbo lump crab meat to 'kick it up a notch" ?

Well sure, the more crab the better especially real crab.
It just takes it from a really inexpensive simple dish to a slightly more costly simple dish but all is good!

Flounder is hands down my favorite fish esp when caught (gigged) at 2 am...then cleaned and stuck in fridge.
After 6-8 hours of sleep in a dark room (with the ac on 68 degrees F) we get up...stuff said flounder...broiled... and plate with a side of sweet and sour coleslaw.
Key lime or lemon pie with a strong cup of coffee for dessert.
Doesn't get any better IMO.

Well sure, the more crab the better especially real crab.
It just takes it from a really inexpensive simple dish to a slightly more costly simple dish but all is good!

I have a seafood stuffing recipe from Chef Ed (RIP) that took the dish to the next level...and yes it called for the seafood stix.
I will dig around in my PC's favorites and post it...along with his Sangria for a crowd formula.
That guy had an answer for everything.

Back
Top Bottom