Crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus) 2020, before and after

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
10:11 AM
We catch these with crayfish traps filled with luring pieces of fish bits. Our summer place is located at the mouth of a canal between two lakes.
The crabs should be garnished with crown dill but a sudden night frost killed our dill earlier this month so we had to use lingonberry twigs. I bought four bunches of regular dill for cooking, though.

Our crayfish are different to yours.

Note there's no big claw. These grow to huge sizes. I have about 6 tails in my freezer. My daughter took a whole one I had so the pic above is identical.

Then we have koura Maori name for fresh water crays. They look similar to the craws mentioned above. I love both.

Russ

Our dotted freshwater crayfish were imported from Northwestern U.S.A. in the 20th century. Crayfish plague has pretty much destroyed our original species (Astacus astacus or European crayfish). Now they´re trying to get rid of the dotted ones; they don´t transplant them anymore so we enjoy catching and eating them for as long as we can.

Rascal, I visited both the North and South Island in the 90´s and loved the country. I hope the beautiful Christchurch riverside garden with hanging willow trees is still thriving.

Our dotted freshwater crayfish were imported from Northwestern U.S.A. in the 20th century. Crayfish plague has pretty much destroyed our original species (Astacus astacus or European crayfish). Now they´re trying to get rid of the dotted ones; they don´t transplant them anymore so we enjoy catching and eating them for as long as we can.

Rascal, I visited both the North and South Island in the 90´s and loved the country. I hope the beautiful Christchurch riverside garden with hanging willow trees is still thriving.

Wow, your memory is good, our forefathers did us a huge favour leaving us with hagley park, acres of trees and gardens in the heart of the city. Trees you remember still have the willows drooping over the Avon river that flows through the city. Earthquakes did a lot of damage to old buildings. Slowly getting back to normal. Growing up and canoeing on the Avon are fond memories.

Russ

Bring back memories??

Hagley Park and Gardens

Russ

Cracks me up that Crawfish were imported from the north west U.S. instead of the gulf south. They do not even look like crawfish.

Back
Top Bottom