Creative dishes

Local time
8:20 PM
When it comes to cooking, it is always good to be creative instead of sticking to what one is accustomed to. For instance, I have always eaten sweet potato pie a certain way, never thinking of adding a savoury component to the mix. However, over the weekend, while visiting the home of a relative for lunch, I discovered that one of the dishes was sweet potato pie, but it was a sweet potato pie with a difference. The savoury addition to the dish was cod fish (or salt fish as it is called in my country). I was surprised when I was told that cod fish was added to the sweet potato pie. However, it turned out to be a very tasty combination, and the presentation of the dish itself was attractive too.

What have you made recently where you became creative and added something new to a dish that you have always been accustomed to making a certain way?

When it comes to cooking, it is always good to be creative instead of sticking to what one is accustomed to. For instance, I have always eaten sweet potato pie a certain way, never thinking of adding a savoury component to the mix. However, over the weekend, while visiting the home of a relative for lunch, I discovered that one of the dishes was sweet potato pie, but it was a sweet potato pie with a difference. The savoury addition to the dish was cod fish (or salt fish as it is called in my country). I was surprised when I was told that cod fish was added to the sweet potato pie. However, it turned out to be a very tasty combination, and the presentation of the dish itself was attractive too.

What have you made recently where you became creative and added something new to a dish that you have always been accustomed to making a certain way?
Quite a lot of things. The CookingBites Recipe Challenge always stretches my imagination - so lately I've been thinking 'every which way' about how to use lentils! I'll probably post a few recipes soon. The last one was putting salmon with lentils - something I wouldn't have thought of doing. To be honest. I'm an obsessive cook and coming from a creative background, I can't prevent myself from thinking creatively! I'd get awfully bored otherwise. Cooking and writing new recipes is my main 'hobby' and I fall asleep and wake up thinking of ideas. I even make my life difficult by ordering random ingredients in the weekly shop with no idea how I'm going to use them! But use them I do...

I'm not the master of our kitchen but I am aware of what's being cooked. Last week was Holy Week for Catholics, a religious tradition meant for fasting and abstinence. Our usual food is bereft of meat - beef, pork, chicken - so you can imagine that we subsist on fish and vegetables for the whole week. One dish I noticed was the broiled milkfish. The milkfish was deboned so it would be easier to eat and then had a slit at the back. For fillings, there were sliced tomatoes and onions plus pepper and some herbs for flavoring. After wrapped in foil, it was broiled on charcoal - 20 minutes on each side for a total of 40 minuites cooking time. The herbs truly gave it a new touch.

Back
Top Bottom