Recipe Crispy Semolina Gnocchi with Chilli Sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:01 AM
I looked at lots of recipes for semolina gnocchi and most seemed to use baked gnocchi with grated cheese or a tomato sauce. I thought I'd spice things up by frying the gnocchi until crispy and making a simple chilli sauce. This is intended as a starter. Recipe serves 4 - 6.

IMGP1873.jpg

Ingredients
400 ml milk
125 g semolina (plus a little more for coating)
Salt to taste
Nutmeg, a few gratings
25 g grated Parmesan cheese
Oil for frying
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
Splash of red wine (optional)
A few dashes of Tabasco sauce (or as much as you like!)
Salt to taste
Dill, parmesan and walnut oil to serve.

Method

To make the gnocchi:
  • Warm the milk in a saucepan and whisk in the semolina and salt. Simmer until the mixture thickens.
  • Mix in the grated parmesan and the nutmeg. Add salt to taste.
  • Pour into a greased shallow dish and allow to cool.
  • When cool scoop out mounded teaspoons of the mixture and roll onto balls (about the size of a small walnut) with slightly wetted hands. Roll the balls in semolina to make a crispy coating.
  • Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the gnocchi gently until golden brown, allowing the balls to flatten into discs. Flip them over and fry on the other side.
To make the sauce:
  • Whilst the gnocchi mix is cooling, heat the tomatoes in a saucepan with a splash of wine (if using). Simmer until reduced by half. Add Tabasco and salt to taste. Liquidise the sauce (I use a stick blender).
To serve:
  • Arrange 5 or 7 gnocchi per person on the sauce (odd numbers look better when plating up). Grate parmesan cheese over, scatter with chopped dill (or other fresh herb) and drizzle with walnut oil.
IMGP1871.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at lots of recipes for semolina gnocchi and most seemed to use baked gnocchi with grated cheese or a tomato sauce. I thought I'd spice things up by frying the gnocchi until crispy and making a simple chilli sauce. This is intended as a starter. Recipe serves 4 - 6.

View attachment 6619

Ingredients
400 ml milk
125 g semolina (plus a little more for coating)
Salt to taste
Nutmeg, a few gratings
25 g grated Parmesan cheese
Oil for frying
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
Splash of red wine (optional)
A few dashes of Tabasco sauce (or as much as you like!)
Salt to taste
Dill, parmesan and walnut oil to serve.

Method

To make the gnocchi:
  • Warm the milk in a saucepan and whisk in the semolina and salt. Simmer until the mixture thickens.
  • Mix in the grated parmesan and the nutmeg. Add salt to taste.
  • Pour into a greased shallow dish and allow to cool.
  • When cool scoop out mounded teaspoons of the mixture and roll onto balls (about the size of a small walnut) with slightly wetted hands. Roll the balls in semolina to make a crispy coating.
  • Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the gnocchi gently until golden brown, allowing the balls to flatten into discs. Flip them over and fry on the other side.
To make the sauce:
  • Whilst the gnocchi mix is cooling, heat the tomatoes in a saucepan with a splash of wine (if using). Simmer until reduced by half. Add Tabasco and salt to taste. Liquidise the sauce (I use a stick blender).
To serve:
  • Arrange 5 or 7 gnocchi per person on the sauce (odd numbers look better when plating up). Grate parmesan cheese over, scatter with chopped dill (or other fresh herb) and drizzle with walnut oil.
View attachment 6621

Very interesting recipe!

Back
Top Bottom