Curd with Lemonheads candy?

GregO77

Local time
10:19 PM
This might be a weird question but I was wondering if it would be possible to use Lemonheads candy to make a curd? My plan is to make Lemonheads Macaroons for my wife. Thanks in advance for your guys help!

- Greg

Welcome to CookingBites @GregO77 - please take a moment to introduce yourself over in New Member Introductions

I had to look up Lemonheads candy as it is not a candy we have in the UK. Are you trying to make a filling to sandwich between two macaroons? Or are you trying to flavour the macaroons with the candy?

I don't think you could make a curd with the candy without a lot of experimentation because you would have to account for the sugar in the candy, get it to melt, etc. What I would do is make the curd the regular way, then fairly finely crush the candies and fold them in. I had lemon curd with crystallized lemon peel in it in a dish once and it was really great with that little surprise crunch and burst of flavor.

Welcome to CookingBites!

Welcome to CookingBites @GregO77 - please take a moment to introduce yourself over in New Member Introductions

I had to look up Lemonheads candy as it is not a candy we have in the UK. Are you trying to make a filling to sandwich between two macaroons? Or are you trying to flavour the macaroons with the candy?

Yes that is correct. I liked the idea of using a curd as opposed to a buttercream filling though.

Lemonheads are sort of like lemon drops with a shiny candy coating

I don't think you could make a curd with the candy without a lot of experimentation because you would have to account for the sugar in the candy, get it to melt, etc. What I would do is make the curd the regular way, then fairly finely crush the candies and fold them in. I had lemon curd with crystallized lemon peel in it in a dish once and it was really great with that little surprise crunch and burst of flavor.

Welcome to CookingBites!

Thank you for the welcome! I did think about doing some experimentation. I also like your idea of just crushing them up and incorporating them into a regular curd.

Yum. Anything lemon gets a tick from me.

Clarification - macaron or macaroon?

Macaron - almond meal, powdered sugar & eggwhites as primary ingredients

Macaroon - coconut, sugar & eggwhite.

Completely different beasts.

Yum. Anything lemon gets a tick from me.

Clarification - macaron or macaroon?

Macaron - almond meal, powdered sugar & eggwhites as primary ingredients

Macaroon - coconut, sugar & eggwhite.

Completely different beasts.

I am referring to Macarons - the meringue cookie with filling things

Will you buy or make the curd? I find the bought stuff to be much thicker so it might stand up better. However I have little curd making experience though my grandfather makes his in the microwave.

Another couple of macaron tips I've picked up Is that the batter once piped should be left to sit for several hours to dry out. This helps with development of the "foot" that is created by the oven spring. The other is that you can make the shells in advance & store them in an airtight container in the freezer. Which can actually improve the texture.

If making a dessert with lemon, add a special digestivo. Blitz the Lemonheads in the food processor and use them to line the rim of a small glass, as you would with salt for a margarita, and fill the glass with limoncello right out of the freezer.

Welcome!

Will you buy or make the curd? I find the bought stuff to be much thicker so it might stand up better. However I have little curd making experience though my grandfather makes his in the microwave.

Another couple of macaron tips I've picked up Is that the batter once piped should be left to sit for several hours to dry out. This helps with development of the "foot" that is created by the oven spring. The other is that you can make the shells in advance & store them in an airtight container in the freezer. Which can actually improve the texture.

Lol...I didn’t even know you could buy curd! Though I have not tried to make any of this before. I think I’m going to try and make everything from scratch. So there is the possibility that this whole thing might be an epic fail. But it’s ok if it is. You generally learn more by failing

Lol...I didn’t even know you could buy curd! Though I have not tried to make any of this before. I think I’m going to try and make everything from scratch. So there is the possibility that this whole thing might be an epic fail. But it’s ok if it is. You generally learn more by failing

It sounds quite ambitious to me! Experienced cook though I may be, I've never made macarons. I think macarons keep quite well so you could practice making those first.

I think I'd experiment with the curd first since he's using a very nontraditional ingredient. He can always surprise her with breakfast using pancakes with lemon curd filling, which is where I had the crystallized lemon peel in it. They also folded some into the pancake batter. No syrup needed BTW.

They sell it at Walmart according to google.

Here in Australia you can find all sorts of citrus and passion fruit curds at farmers markets & there's a supermarket product called "lemon butter spread".

Back
Top Bottom