Recipe Curried green tomato (and apple) chutney

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
7:14 AM
This is my latest recipe for using up apples. So far I have made apple pickle and apple mustard and have spiced apple chutney to do this week, but today I also had green tomatoes to use up so made a curried green tomato chutney.

The recipe started out as this one but I used red onions, a mix of brown sugar and honey, cider vinegar (to make it gluten free) and used Mridula Baljekar's recipe for the curry powder* from her book 'The cook's encyclopedia or curries'.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/season-taste/curried-green-tomatoe-chutney_61491.html

Ingredients
500g green tomatoes
200g cooking apples
600g red onions
200g demerara sugar
I cup honey
400ml cider vinegar
3 dessert spoons of curry powder*
2 tsp dried mustard powder
2 tsp turmeric
2 dessert spoons of yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Method
  1. Mix mustard powder, turmeric, curry powder and black pepper with a little of the vinegar to make a smooth paste.
  2. Dice the tomatoes and onion. Finely chop the apple, put in a large stainless steel saucepan, along with the other ingredients. Bring to the boil slowly, making sure the sugar is completely dissolved then simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture has reduced to the desired consistency (drawing a spoon across the top leaves a clear trail that does not fill with vinegar).
  3. Pour into hot sterilised jars, and seal immediately. Best if left to mature a couple of months.
I'll take a photo once I've filled the jars.

*Curry powder - makes about 115g
1/2 cup coriander seeds
4 Tbsp cumin seeds
2 Tbsp fennel seeds
2 Tbsp fenugreek seeds
4 dried red chillis
5 dried curry leaves
1 Tbsp chilli powder
1 Tbsp ground turmeric
1/2 Tsp salt

Roast whole spices in a pan until smelling nicely, let cool, add rest of ingredients and blitz (I use a coffee grinder I dedicate to spice)

Last edited:
This is my latest recipe for using up apples. So far I have made apple pickle and apple mustard and have spiced apple chutney to do this week, but today I also had green tomatoes to use up so made a curried green tomato chutney.

The recipe started out as this one but I used red onions, a mix of brown sugar and honey, cider vinegar (to make it gluten free) and used Mridula Baljekar's recipe for the curry powder from her book 'The cook's encyclopedia or curries'.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/season-taste/curried-green-tomatoe-chutney_61491.html

You have got me in the mood for making chutney and pickle @Herbie. I like to have some in the store cupboard for Winter months.

I was just thinking about making an apple and mint pickle (for the Recipe Challenge). Perhaps you would like to beat me to it? :D
Ooh, that sounds nice, but I'll leave that to you. (My apples are cooking apples so I don't want to buy more apples!). I must type up my apple mustard recipe and then the next chutney recipe (next week when I make it).

Ooh, that sounds nice, but I'll leave that to you. (My apples are cooking apples so I don't want to buy more apples!). I must type up my apple mustard recipe and then the next chutney recipe (next week when I make it).
Cooking apples would be perfect. :whistling: That was what I was thinking of.

The recipe started out as this one but I used red onions, a mix of brown sugar and honey, cider vinegar (to make it gluten free) and used Mridula Baljekar's recipe for the curry powder* from her book 'The cook's encyclopedia or curries'.

Ingredients
500g green tomatoes
200g cooking apples
600g red onions
200g demerara sugar
I cup honey
400ml cider vinegar
3 dessert spoons of curry powder*
2 tsp dried mustard powder
2 tsp turmeric
2 dessert spoons of yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Method
  1. Mix mustard powder, turmeric, curry powder and black pepper with a little of the vinegar to make a smooth paste.
  2. Dice the tomatoes and onion. Finely chop the apple, put in a large stainless steel saucepan, along with the other ingredients. Bring to the boil slowly, making sure the sugar is completely dissolved then simmer, stirring frequently until the mixture has reduced to the desired consistency (drawing a spoon across the top leaves a clear trail that does not fill with vinegar).
  3. Pour into hot sterilised jars, and seal immediately. Best if left to mature a couple of months.

*Curry powder - makes about 115g
1/2 cup coriander seeds
4 Tbsp cumin seeds
2 Tbsp fennel seeds
2 Tbsp fenugreek seeds
4 dried red chillis
5 dried curry leaves
1 Tbsp chilli powder
1 Tbsp ground turmeric
1/2 Tsp salt

Roast whole spices in a pan until smelling nicely, let cool, add rest of ingredients and blitz (I use a coffee grinder I dedicate to spice)

Great recipe! We have a surplus of both cooking apples and green tomatoes at the moment.

We opened the first jar of chutney on Christmas Day in the evening to have with cheese and cold meats. Absolutely delicious! Was nicer than the Christ mad Chutney (based on a Nigella recipe) I made last year.

Also, I forgot about the apple and mint chutney @morning glory I must make that again as that was also delicious. We tend to have a lot of curries in January to have cheap lentil and vegetable based dishes to balance the spend on ingredients bought for Christmas.

We opened the first jar of chutney on Christmas Day in the evening to have with cheese and cold meats. Absolutely delicious! Was nicer than the Christ mad Chutney (based on a Nigella recipe) I made last year.

Also, I forgot about the apple and mint chutney @morning glory I must make that again as that was also delicious. We tend to have a lot of curries in January to have cheap lentil and vegetable based dishes to balance the spend on ingredients bought for Christmas.

I'm definitely in a pickle/chutney mood right now! Cold turkey and ham with chips, chutney and pickle. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom