Curry Powder

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:15 AM
I was researching egg curry today and came across this in the list of ingredients for a dish by Madhur Jaffrey:
cur304.jpg

Maybe she's getting too old to make her own these days (she will be 85 this year). If I decide upon the dish, I'll use my own curry powder.

One of the staples of my cupboard used to be "curry powder", which you can buy in the spice section of any supermarket. But, when I first decided that I wanted to make my own dishes, I learned that "curry powder" wasn't a spice, but rather a collection of spices. Even though I liked the flavor of the curry powder out of the jar, I grew to dislike the idea of using someone else's blend when I had means to make my own.

Ditto here, I grew up with bought curry powder as well, I love this in my curry sausages like my mum used to make. Now I make my own Garam masala spice mix up myself. I dry roast all my seeds and grind. I normally make enough to last for about 3 months. Some Indian people I talk too recommended a really good curry powder. It's Sri Lankan, so I bought a pack to try as opposed to mine. I will,report back when I use it.

Russ

I was researching egg curry today and came across this in the list of ingredients for a dish by Madhur Jaffrey:
cur304.jpg

Maybe she's getting too old to make her own these days (she will be 85 this year). If I decide upon the dish, I'll use my own curry powder.

Did she recommend that particular brand or just 'hot curry pwder'?

Did she recommend that particular brand or just 'hot curry pwder'?

This is a quote from her (e) book "At Home With Madhur Jaffrey" - “3 teaspoons hot curry powder (I like Bolst’s Hot Curry Powder)”.

This is a quote from her (e) book "At Home With Madhur Jaffrey" - “3 teaspoons hot curry powder (I like Bolst’s Hot Curry Powder)”.

Right - and that tin you pictured is Bolst's. I'm tempted to buy some just because Madhur recommends it! The ingredients listed are:

Coriander, Turmeric, Chillies, Mustard, Ginger, Cumin Seed, Fenugreek Seed.

Right - and that tin you pictured is Bolst's. I'm tempted to buy some just because Madhur recommends it!

Well, there's not much chance of me getting it here (the heavens have just opened and I've relocated to the desktop - which is significantly faster).

Back
Top Bottom