Cutting toward yourself

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
12:09 AM
Whenever I cut the skins off potatoes or core an apple, or something like this in which I hold the food that I am cutting into, I always hold the food in my left hand and cut toward myself with the knife in my right hand. My thumb usually goes at the bottom of the food to help give me grip control. Someone recently observed me doing this and told me that I was being very unsafe in my cutting. I have done it for years and have never managed to cut myself. Does anyone else cut food like this?

Im left handed, so I hold the food in my right hand with the knife in my left hand and cut towards me. Mr WD hates seeing me do this, but he says that with everything I do by virtue of the fact that I look awkward and very numpty like, as I'm left handed. It suits me so I'll carry on the way I am.

the only time i cut towards my thumb is when i am turning potatoes a technique which looks easy but actually a skill,and i can turn hundreds
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GrWnMgVPic

i would always choose to cut on to a board ,as its more natural and faster for me,
and when i use a sharpening steel i have always gone down the steel towards my hand

I always tend to hold the food in my left hand and cut toward myself. However, I got to thinking over the last couple months or so, that it would be safer to do the cutting away from myself, like resting what I have to cut on a plate, and peeling away from myself. I guess it feels more natural to cut towards yourself, but the idea of the knife slipping when doing so sounds a bit unsafe. I suppose taking your time when cutting anything is also the best bet, rather than doing it too quickly.

I do take my time when I am cutting food that I am holding in my hand, no need to visit the ER over an apple! I too think it is a little unsafe, but I figure that people have been doing it for centuries, why should I be any different? I like the control I get makeing small cuts when holding the food in my hand and cutting it, like peeling a piece of fruit or a potato. I tried cutting away from myself a couple of times, but it just felt unnatural and weird.

I no longer peal anything but kiwi and peaches, but yes, I do it like this. My mother, grandmothers, everyone in my family peals this way. I think it is just a matter of having control of the knife and you won't cut yourself. I started pealing potatoes at about 11 years old and to date have never cut myself with a pealing knife. When I first started I was very slow and careful until I got the hang of how the knife worked and how potatoes feel. I know there are some ideas out there about safety, but I don't agree with all of them. If it works for you and you feel in control of the knife you are fine.

As with any knife usage, cutting away from yourself gives you poor control over the knife itself. True you could slow down/use less pressure, however a slip would be a greater risk. Knife slips at the furthest point, whether you're using your hand or a board, the risk of losing the knife is greater.

In cutting towards yourself the inbuilt safety mechanism(self preservation) will kick in, helping to reduce the risk of injury.

It helps to have the correct knife when you start to peel a food item to avoid cutting yourself. Although a knife my have the name paring if it does not feel right in your hand you may hurt yourself. I was over my sisters house helping her cook, the knife she gave me did not feel good in my hand when I picked another knife out to cut she got really ticked at me, because to her it was not the right knife. To me it felt better in my hand.

I've always cut away from myself. Regardless of peeling or seeding or scraping it seems I've been doing it this way for years. Out of habit more than consideration. I've yet to cut myself ever in the kitchen. Other places? Always. Kitchen? Not yet...*knocks on wood* :banghead:

I've always cut away from myself. Regardless of peeling or seeding or scraping it seems I've been doing it this way for years. Out of habit more than consideration. I've yet to cut myself ever in the kitchen. Other places? Always. Kitchen? Not yet...*knocks on wood* :banghead:
Whilst using a knife in the same manner?

Whenever I cut the skins off potatoes or core an apple, or something like this in which I hold the food that I am cutting into, I always hold the food in my left hand and cut toward myself with the knife in my right hand. My thumb usually goes at the bottom of the food to help give me grip control. Someone recently observed me doing this and told me that I was being very unsafe in my cutting. I have done it for years and have never managed to cut myself. Does anyone else cut food like this?

I USED to, but since I'm a lefty, I often use my left hand for cutting things in the kitchen. But I kept cutting my thumb!! So I use one of my cutting boards for cutting.
When peeling things like potatoes & carrots, I always peel foods in the direction away from me, to also avoid getting cut. :wink:

Whilst using a knife in the same manner?

As in that I have cut myself in other situations? I don't recall cutting anything toward myself unless it's in a situation where I'm working on wiring/jobs & there's no other way due to location of the work. So, mostly.

You are lucky Joan, I have managed to cut myself in the kitchen, but not while actually cutting food. I cut myself once on a chopping knife that was in the dishwasher. It was under the deepness I would have needed to go to the doctor for stitches, so I got lucky.

I used to always hold food in my right hand to cut, until I learned how to do it on the cutting board, and this goes all the way back to the mid to late '60s.
At home, we never had a cutting board and always cut stuff the old-fashioned way; In our hands!

That isn't always the safe thing to do these days! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom