5:16 AM
Dairy Free.jpg
Ingredients
For the cake
6oz Dairy free spread, soft (Pure)
6oz Caster sugar
6oz Self raising flour
3 eggs
2oz Milk free chocolate powder (Nesquik)
Chocolate butter icing
4oz Dairy free spread (Pure)
Pack Icing sugar
Milk free Chocolate powder (Nesquik)
Plus any favourite Dairy free chocolate.

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 220C/fan
  2. Blend together the spread and the sugar until the mixture is consistent. Sieve in half of the flour and mix. Then add two of the eggs one at a time while continuously beating the mixture. Add the remaining flour and the chocolate powder. Add the remaining egg.
  3. Grease two round cake tins with some of the spread then divide the mixture equally between the two.
  4. Place cake in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
  5. Once cooked remove from tins and leave to cool on a cooling rack for 30 minutes.
  6. while the cake is cooling mix together the spread for decorating and slowly mix in icing sugar, tasting it every so often until you reach the desired sweetness. Then add a tbsp of chocolate powder to make the butter icing chocolatey.
  7. Once the cake is cool use the butter icing to stick the two layers together and then cover the top and side of the cake with the rest. Stick on all of your favourite treats.

1/2 hour cooling time then 1/2 hour decorating time.
Serves 12

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew that Nesquik didn't contain dairy...my mind is blown! I guess we learn something new every day. The picture looks nice and moist and that's always my concern when trying any dairy free recipes - as to whether or not it will be moist, or just a yucky crumbly mess!

Ingredients: INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, SPICE. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), FERRIC PYROPHOSPHATE (IRON), NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE, COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, BIOTIN.

That reads more like one of my posts.

What'd I get wrong on the recipe?

I don't know what you got wrong, but I like to see chocolate cake in any version. I had stopped using the box cakes since I graduated to being an apprentice baker (you folks here being the professionals). This thread is a reminder I have to get rid of a box chocolate cake I stumbled on before it goes bad on me. I should probably try this for my son.

I don't know what you got wrong, but I like to see chocolate cake in any version. I had stopped using the box cakes since I graduated to being an apprentice baker (you folks here being the professionals). This thread is a reminder I have to get rid of a box chocolate cake I stumbled on before it goes bad on me. I should probably try this for my son.
When & where?

FREE CAKE!

That is the trouble with some 'free from' foods, they contain high levels of bad stuff to compensate. My mum used to buy low fat or fat free yogurt thinking it was the right thing to do because she was trying to lose weight, the dietician pointed out the high levels of sugar that were in them, I suppose it is a good idea to check ingredients first.

Any left?

Ingredients: INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, SPICE. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), FERRIC PYROPHOSPHATE (IRON), NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE, COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, BIOTIN.

You know what, these ingredients look really quite natural compared to some stuff! I'm surprised.

I googled a slightly different set of ingredients (but equally seemingly OK!) for Nesquick:

Ingredients:
Sugar, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder (21%), Dextrose, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin, Vitamins: Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Thiamin Hydrochloride (Thiamin), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D), Minerals: Magnesium Carbonate, Ferric Pyrophosphate (Iron), Zinc Sulphate, Salt, Natural Flavouring
Allergy Information: Free From: Gluten
Additives: Free From Artificial Colours, Free From Artificial Sweeteners, Free From Artificial Flavours, Free From Artificial Preservatives

That reads more like one of my posts.

What'd I get wrong on the recipe?

Don't know unless I try it out. The idea of a pack of icing sugar is strange. How big is a pack? I wouldn't know how much to use as packs differ in size. My only other thought is that Nesquick wouldn't provide the most chocolatey of chocolate flavours. But who knows? Will someone please try out this recipe? Or is it me that has to go out and buy that Nesquick? :rolleyes:

Don't know unless I try it out. The idea of a pack of icing sugar is strange. How big is a pack? I wouldn't know how much to use as packs differ in size. My only other thought is that Nesquick wouldn't provide the most chocolatey of chocolate flavours. But who knows? Will someone please try out this recipe? Or is it me that has to go out and buy that Nesquick? :rolleyes:
Its you that has to buy it, Unless you can get it without paying for it!

Back
Top Bottom