Recipe Deep Fried Hard Boiled Egg in a Chickpea Flour batter

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:13 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was thinking about a beer batter recipe for wrapping a hardboiled egg into. But I came across a problem. We didn't have any beer plus it was a week night and we don't generally drink during the week - the remaining beer would have needed to be consumed before you ask!

So I decided to improvise. I didn't want a wheat flour based batter, and because I happen to rather like chickpeas, I decided to use my besan flour with some salt & pepper and then just because there happens to be a certain ingredient challenge going on at the moment, I threw in some black sesame seeds as well.

Ingredients
1 hard boiled egg, shelled.
35g besan flour plus more for dusting
10g black sesame seeds
2-3 tsp sparkling spring water

Method
  1. Heat the enough oil in a small saucepan to cover your covered egg.
  2. Mix the flour and black sesame seeds together in a very small bowl, season and then add some of the sparkling water. You are aiming to make a really thick batter. Thick enough to handle with care, and floured hands, but not thick enough to be pastry - more like a sticky dough (if you have every made bread, you are aiming for that kind of stickiness that says too much water in the bread dough).
  3. With floured hands, cover the hard boiled egg in the dough. Aim to completely encase the egg in about 5mm of the batter all the way around. Keep your hands well floured.
  4. Carefully put the covered egg into the hot oil and cook for 6-7 minutes until nicely brown. Aim for a darker brown so that all of the batter is cooked all the way through.
  5. Remove from the oil, allow to drain for a moment or two and serve.
IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

Back
Top Bottom