Diners, drive-ins and dives...

caseydog

Local time
4:25 AM
[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

I was just watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, an American show that focuses on great food destinations all over the US. You could probably go online to foodnetwork.com and research featured restaurants (some of which have niche retail foods within) from the show that are situated along your path for the trip. I'd love to eat my way across America!
https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/episodes/route-66

Season 2 episode 2.

I've been to a couple of the places on that show. One was good (but gone now), and they other one was not good.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to a couple of the places on that show. One was good (but gone now), and they other one was not good.

CD
I've been to a few in Cleveland that were great. My husband's cousin went to about 30 all over 🇺🇸 and liked all but 2 of them.

I was just watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, an American show that focuses on great food destinations all over the US. You could probably go online to foodnetwork.com and research featured restaurants (some of which have niche retail foods within) from the show that are situated along your path for the trip. I'd love to eat my way across America!
https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/episodes/route-66

Season 2 episode 2.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after. Im intending on planning the journey going from one good eatery/foodie heaven or motorcycle destination (museum etc) to the next.

Years ago, American Diners got a bad rap. You know, nasty food, badly prepared, cheesy decor, etc. Is that still "true" or have they had a makeover?
When I was travelling monthly to NY in the 90s, we all went to one in White Plains. The two things I can remember about it are (a) for $9.99, we got soup, salad, mains and a dessert and (b) there was enough food there to feed an army, let alone one person!
Bit like Chinese restaurants in the UK. Probably just malicious gossip.

Years ago, American Diners got a bad rap. You know, nasty food, badly prepared, cheesy decor, etc. Is that still "true" or have they had a makeover?
When I was travelling monthly to NY in the 90s, we all went to one in White Plains. The two things I can remember about it are (a) for $9.99, we got soup, salad, mains and a dessert and (b) there was enough food there to feed an army, let alone one person!
I suppose in some cases, yes, it's true, but in my experience, mostly not true. I know of several great diners in our area that have excellent food that is well-prepared and reasonably priced. Decor might or might not be meh.

Diners are now a "thing." Especially the old ones that were delivered to location on big trailers. People are restoring them, and bringing back the food from their day.

New Jersey is known as the Diner state. The one my maternal Grandfather took me to as a little boy is still around, I've heard. I've only been to NJ three times since 1970, when we moved away. Someday, I would like to go back to that Diner, just for the memories.

Some restored Diners are rather upscale. Gourmet level old-school Diner food. Many have full bars, too.

I think it just depends on a person’s point of view. Some diners have definitely gone upscale, but there are those of us who want a “classic” diner experience, with those dishes that some would call stodgy, but made well.

It’s like when I’m in the UK and go to a pub that advertises “traditional pub fare” - in my mind (granted, I’m American) that means a certain thing, and when I sit down and see loads of dishes with fancy names and “artisanal” ingredients, plated up on rhombus-shaped platters, with chive flowers arranged just so, I can’t help but think, “God save us from the gastropub!”

Yeah. Sounds like Diners have had a makeover, just like a lot of pubs in the UK. I imagine that the clients want strightforward, well-prepared "comfort" food rather than some fancy pseudo-gourmet preparation.

Yeah. Sounds like Diners have had a makeover, just like a lot of pubs in the UK. I imagine that the clients want strightforward, well-prepared "comfort" food rather than some fancy pseudo-gourmet preparation.
There's a diner down the road that I go to every so often and my in-laws probably go there weekly (and have for decades). They are only open for breakfast and lunch. I don't think they have changed a thing, they still have huge omelets that hang off the plates and the menu selection is about the same. Well I am sure that the prices are higher, it would be impossible for them to stay in business otherwise.

I think it just depends on a person’s point of view. Some diners have definitely gone upscale, but there are those of us who want a “classic” diner experience, with those dishes that some would call stodgy, but made well.

It’s like when I’m in the UK and go to a pub that advertises “traditional pub fare” - in my mind (granted, I’m American) that means a certain thing, and when I sit down and see loads of dishes with fancy names and “artisanal” ingredients, plated up on rhombus-shaped platters, with chive flowers arranged just so, I can’t help but think, “God save us from the gastropub!”
The first time I ever went to the diner I mentioned that's just down the road that my in-laws go to all the time, I went with my MIL for lunch. I ordered the "City Chicken" and was completely taken aback when the plate came and it wasn't chicken. That was the first time I had ever heard of it, because being from Florida it's not something on the menu down there (diners in Florida will have chicken fried steak, fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, that kind of *YUM* food). For those of you who don't know what city chicken is, it's made with pork. Don't ask me why they call it city chicken. It was pretty good but not what I was looking for.

[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

CD

MG's modcopter snuck up on me. She must have had Q install the MI-6 silent mode.

CD

We've been to 2. One of them was great, but sadly never reopened after the Covid shutdown. The other was okay, but a bit far away and not good enough to make the trip for just the diner.

Back
Top Bottom