Dipping sauce advice

elron42

Local time
11:28 PM
In my city we have a great vietmanise vegitarian restaraunt called AU LAC
https://www.aulac-restaurant.com.au/

I particularly like the vegetarian cold rolls and they come with a particular type of dipping sauce that I am finding hard to duplicate.

It is clear with maybe a slight yellow orange tinge. Not thick. It is slightly sweet with a spicy / burning after taste.

Has anyone come across a dipping sauce like this and would they be happy to share the recipie?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Not quite vegetarian. Just mix everything together and let stand to meld. How hot it is depends on the "red pepper flakes" used.

1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

@elron42

I just looked at the Restaurant Au Lac´s Website. I believe from the color of the dipping sauce served with the Vietnamese Rolls, this could be a

"Peanut Sweet and Sour Salsa" (a deep Golden hue) ..

The standard ingredients in this type of dipping sauce are :

Fresh squeezed lime juice and zest
Hoison
Sugar
Soy Sauce
Tomato Paste
Garlic mashed in Mortar with a Pestle
Roasted ground peanuts or peanut butter
Peanut Oil
Water
Chili peppers - dried and crumbled

Last edited:
Looking at this menu I'm thinking you are talking about the Fresh Cold Rolls (item 5)? If so they are peanut free so I assume the sauce they come with will be too. Its impossible to second guess a sweet/hot chilli sauce as there are so many different versions. If I were you I would contact the restaurant and ask! This is a restaurant which really cares about ingredients so I think they will be more than happy to tell you what is in that sauce! Their email is on the website (see below).

9189d8_a28506aac5c94a23828e45b30d98e56b~mv2_d_2953_2953_s_4_2.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 13.16.46.png

Last edited:
I think it was likely nuoc cham, which is similar to the recipe @CraigC posted (but I would think rice vinegar would be used). There are vegetarian 'fish' sauces available and I've seen some recipes for these online. I've not tried them so can't recommend any.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom