1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dippy eggs in the news

Discussion in 'Food in the News' started by morning glory, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Pregnant women, babies and elderly people can now safely eat runny or even raw eggs under new advice issued by the government’s food safety watchdog almost 30 years after the UK salmonella crisis.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said it had revised its advice after a “thorough and robust” review of new scientific evidence found that those vulnerable to infection could now safely eat raw or lightly cooked eggs – provided they were produced under the British Lion code of practice – without risking their health.

Source: egg-safety-weve-cracked-it-britons-told-by-food-watchdog

ElizabethB likes this.
  2. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

I've never even read "Satanic Verses" so I should be OK.

3. sidevalve

sidevalve Senior Member

You mean the white coats have changed their minds :eek::eek::eek::eek: Now that really is unusual :whistling:

4. epicuric

epicuric Senior Member Staff Member

Great news for the British egg industry

ElizabethB and morning glory like this.
  5. Kake Lover

Kake Lover Senior Member Staff Member

That's great news all round.

ElizabethB and Francesca like this.
  6. Elawin

Elawin Über Member

That is good news, even though I can't stand lightly cooked eggs. I knew someone in the early 1990s who was quite poorly for several months after eating an infected egg. He worked in the food industry (ran a village shop that sold home-made and freshly cooked food, as well as a B&B), and it was a long time before he was allowed to have any contact with cooking or serving food to customers, especially if that food contained eggs. It wasn't just the people who ate eggs who were affected by all this.

ElizabethB likes this.
  7. ElizabethB

ElizabethB Well-Known Member

Great news for the U.K.

I can not imagine life without soft cooked eggs.

morning glory likes this.
  8. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

You are on the right Forum. We are very egg oriented here! And most of us like soft cooked... (sorry @Elawin).

ElizabethB and Elawin like this.
  9. Lynne Guinne

Lynne Guinne Senior Member

@Elawin has a friend in me, @morning glory. I just can't do a runny yolk. :yuck:After decades of cooking hard-boiled eggs, I've just come to the point where I can deal with a shiny center in the yolk rather than bone-dry.

Elawin, morning glory and ElizabethB like this.
  10. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

We had boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast, I love a runny yolk sorry @Elawin and @Lynne Guinne

11. Lynne Guinne

Lynne Guinne Senior Member

Hey @Lullabelle, to each his/her own. Dip all you want!

Elawin and ElizabethB like this.
  12. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

I know that you've more than likely seen it before but I couldn't resist....

boiled eggs s.jpg