Dish of the month (March 2022): Chilli/chili (including plant based)

I don't want to stop member's posting recipes and photos of chilli they made in the past but the concept of the thread is for people to join in and cook a chilli during March. In fact a similar thing happened last month with 'meatloaf'. Maybe it doesn't matter... 🤷‍♀️

I made mine in the last few weeks. If I make another that is different in March, I'll post that, too.

CD

The last chilli-con-carne that I cooked was 26th January this year. I cooked 8 portions and 6 are in the freezer. I won't be cooking any more until those 6 portions are almost depleted. a) There is no point and b) I don't have sufficient freezer space.
You could re-heat some from the freezer & make some sides and plate it all up and take pics to post during March my friend.

BECAUSE SNAP!

I made a huge batch of medium spicy chilli with beef mince, tomatoes, black beans (as they are a little smaller & the bean hater doesn’t seem to mind them) chillies (obvs) and even a splash of beer.

I froze 4 x 1 litre containers and we ate some too. I was craving pasta. So we had it with butter penne, corn chips, guac, sour cream, shredded tasty cheese & coriander.

We will have it again one night this month & it will probably be served with rice.

Chicken Chili

View attachment 81753

Just a small bowl to taste test.
This will be better with age ... I'll leave it sit in the `fridge for a day or two and then serve it up with a scoop of steamed White Rice and Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers, a Hawaii thing :wink:

Yum. I make what we call “chicken in salsa” it’s basically the same as my chilli con carne but with chicken, no beans & I add a jar of salsa at the end. Sometimes I thin it with stock and add some extra chopped veg and serve it as soup

Yum. I make what we call “chicken in salsa” it’s basically the same as my chilli con carne but with chicken, no beans & I add a jar of salsa at the end. Sometimes I thin it with stock and add some extra chopped veg and serve it as soup

I think if I mixed salsa with my chilli it would have to carry a health warning.

In about 1 litre of salsa...........

In about 2.5 litres of chilli-con-carne..........

They look just like cayenne peppers, too. There are a lot of chilis that look like that, it seems.

I have eaten Thai chilis side by side with the cayenne peppers I grow, and they are remarkably similar.

CD
If you look closely that pic is labeled cayenne & thai hot chilli.

The smaller ones are known as “Birdseye” in Oz & we also have a smaller green chilli known as “scuds” like the missile but I believe the Thai name translates as something like “rat droppings”

In Sydney we have a decent sized Chinatown and a street or 2 not far from there known as Thaitown, with Chat Thai probably the best known Thai restaurant - at least amongst foodies The NOMA crew had their end of run final after service meal there and Redzepi is still talking about it years later

Last edited:
If you look closely that pic is labeled cayenne & thai hot chilli.

The smaller ones are known as “Birdseye” in Oz & we also have a smaller green chilli known as “scuds” like the missile but I believe the Thai name translates as something like “rat droppings”

In Sydney we have a decent sized Chinatown and a street or 2 not far from there known as Thaitown.
The large red chillis are cayennes (30,000 - 50,000 SHUs) and have an excellent taste. The smaller red chillis are Thai hot (50,000 - 100,000 SHUs) and have very little tastes but an abundance of heat. The "Birdseye" chillis in Thailand (150,000 - 250,000 SHUs) are called prik kee noo (literally chilli, poo, rat (or mouse)). I only use them for tom yam although my wife uses them for other dishes, in particullar, som tam.

I don't want to stop member's posting recipes and photos of chilli they made in the past but the concept of the thread is for people to join in and cook a chilli during March. In fact a similar thing happened last month with 'meatloaf'. Maybe it doesn't matter... 🤷‍♀️
Understood. I will try making a meat based chili this month. Meat plus whatever else strikes my fancy (peppers and onions for sure).

The first stage of my chunky chilli is done - I used beef shin with toasted whole chillies (ground up), Mexican oregano, garlic and a can of chocolate stout. That was the marinade. Then slow cooked for four hours with some tomato purée and onion . Now I'm thinking what type of beans to add (if at all) and also considering adding roasted red peppers. It needs something extra. Its very dark. Not that dark is a bad thing.

It needs something extra. Its very dark. Not that dark is a bad thing.

I've started using Kashmiri chilli powder recently (since it became available here) in addition to my usual quantity of chilli powder (ground Thai dried chillis). It adds a little more "heat" (which I don't mind) and a lovely red colour.

I've started using Kashmiri chilli powder recently (since it became available here) in addition to my usual quantity of chilli powder (ground Thai dried chillis). It adds a little more "heat" (which I don't mind) and a lovely red colour.

Yeah - I use it a lot too, particularly in curries but I don't think it will change the colour of my chilli. I'm not necessarily wanting to change it though.

Back
Top Bottom