Do onions make your eyes water?

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
7:06 AM
I don't know if its me but onions don't make my eyes water anymore, maybe its the strength of the onions and there not as strong as they used to be but I can't tell you the last time l peeled a really strong onion, what do you think?

It happens to me very rarely. I've heard the trick is to use a sharp knife... maybe that's why we don't cry like tiny babies anymore?

I heard that you should cut it in water and it wouldn't make your eyes water. I myself have not had a problem cutting onions recently. I guess I am getting use onions.

I don't know if its me but onions don't make my eyes water anymore, maybe its the strength of the onions and there not as strong as they used to be but I can't tell you the last time l peeled a really strong onion, what do you think?

same here - they used to but not anymore. Mind you I accidentally ate a slice of raw garlic last week and didn't notice that either!

I heard that you should cut it in water and it wouldn't make your eyes water. I myself have not had a problem cutting onions recently. I guess I am getting use onions.

I tried that but it didn't help as much! What I ended up doing is ,I used Chef Fabio advice. He wears a goggle! especially those type that you wear for swimming when the water can't get in. I don't have any so I just start wearing sunglasses so I can cut plenty of them before I started to feel it starts to get teary. But seriously,try using goggle!

Not really, and I finally discovered why recently; I wear contact lenses, which protects the cornea from the acids. So obvious but I never stopped to think about it.

Riri said:
I tried that but it didn't help as much! What I ended up doing is ,I used Chef Fabio advice. He wears a goggle! especially those type that you wear for swimming when the water can't get in. I don't have any so I just start wearing sunglasses so I can cut plenty of them before I started to feel it starts to get teary. But seriously,try using goggle!
I had heard about using goggles, but I did not hear if it worked or not. I will give it a try and see if it works for me.

Yes, it does not happen anymore. So, the observation is world wide then I must say that it has to do a lot with the way we grow onions these days. Genetic modifications and like may be playing a role in it. However, I am not against GM but if the basic make up of these vegetable and fruits are altered and we see the difference then what could be the implication on us? Food for thought, I guess. :)

I have to admit that I am leary of gm foods. You just don't know how it will affect you. I don't like knowing that it could prove harmful in the long run.

I wouldn't mind having an onion like that. I have learned that the more you the better the onion. I find that to actually be true.

That's a lot of onions to cut. No wonder you cried. I would cry too if I had to chop that many onions, but I bet it was worth it in the end though.

That's a lot of onions to cut. No wonder you cried. I would cry too if I had to chop that many onions, but I bet it was worth it in the end though.
Apparently it needs to mature for 2 months, but the small amount that failed to make it into jars was eaten for tea. Touch sweet for our tastes, but spread thinner it should be ok... next time I will use less sugar....

Not really! My mom gets close to full on tears whenever she cuts onions.

Back
Top Bottom