Do people get set in their taste as they get older?

Make your own and use cornstarch as a thickener.

I can but all of the things I carry for travelling in my kitchen pannier are supposed to be easy no work assembly.
Tis a bit tiring getting off a bike after a long ride and being in a new environment. Navigating the lovely people who want to chat, where are you from? where you going? etc etc.
Food needs to be as simple as possible but still hit the mark.

I can but all of the things I carry for travelling in my kitchen pannier are supposed to be easy no work assembly.
Tis a bit tiring getting off a bike after a long ride and being in a new environment. Navigating the lovely people who want to chat, where are you from? where you going? etc etc.
Food needs to be as simple as possible but still hit the mark.
Yeah I am talking about making it in advance where it's in your sous vide bag whilst you are on the road. If you can't find it in a can now, it's not that hard to make it from scratch tailored to your needs.

Ah I’m a bit lost now.
Made mushroom soup before hand?
Yes, if you make the mushroom soup yourself (right before you travel unless you freeze it), you can make your tuna "sick" in advance and have it ready to throw in the kettle at the hotel.

Yes, if you make the mushroom soup yourself (right before you travel unless you freeze it), you can make your tuna "sick" in advance and have it ready to throw in the kettle at the hotel.

Ah yes I see.

I tend to go for chilli for that frozen/defrost en route kettle cook but that would work too.
It’s the in-between days that are tricky, the ones where there’s nowhere open and you have to rely on food that can manage the heat and distance.

Ah yes I see.

I tend to go for chilli for that frozen/defrost en route kettle cook but that would work too.
It’s the in-between days that are tricky, the ones where there’s nowhere open and you have to rely on food that can manage the heat and distance.
Oh ok. I get that. Stuff like this that's shelf stable:
Products
Now this is never something that should constitute one's diet overall because the fat grams and sodium are a bit high, but they do taste good.

Ah yes I see.

Can you get the gel freezer packs? They last a good while, 2-3 days, in insulated containers. They were used in a recent shipment of cheese that took 2 full days to get to us, as well as in the Tovala meal boxes that take around 36 hours to get to us. The gel packs come in various sizes and are pretty light compared to the liquid freezer packs.

I’m being adventurous and about to find out if I like my cheese “fruity & tangy.”

IMG_8263.jpeg

Oh ok. I get that. Stuff like this that's shelf stable:
Products
Now this is never something that should constitute one's diet overall because the fat grams and sodium are a bit high, but they do taste good.
You don't worry about fat and salt content when you're travelling, it's usually quite a calorie burns and the hot sunshine means some sodium is needed.

Have you linked a product with peas in it on purpose? 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Can you get the gel freezer packs? They last a good while, 2-3 days, in insulated containers. They were used in a recent shipment of cheese that took 2 full days to get to us, as well as in the Tovala meal boxes that take around 36 hours to get to us. The gel packs come in various sizes and are pretty light compared to the liquid freezer packs.
I have tried freezer packs but there's a couple of things that makes them not worthwhile on a bike.

The heat from direct sunlight on the panniers means they're completely done within 12 hours. Everything in there gets quite warm, much hotter than if they were in a cool box in a car.

There's nowhere to re-freeze them so they are good for one cycle and you're left with the choice of carrying warm ice packs or abandoning them. Makes me feel a bit uncomfortable on the financial and environmental cost.

They also take up quite a lot of precious pannier space.

I do sometimes take frozen drinks as icepacks but either way I only get one meal on the first evening so I prefer to take something pre-made and frozen that defrosts en route.

Ambient (shelf stable) really comes into its own here. It provides good flexibility, if you arrive and there's a nice cantina open then you can leave the stuff you have on the bike and enjoy eating out. If not that's ok you have back up.

It's much closer to back packer or camping food apart from I have the advantage of being able to sous vide in a kettle.

I've just remembered there's a powdered mushroom soup that's really quite good, that might work. Maybe with some mushrooms, creamed coconut and spices I could take it in a thai direction 🤔
Perhaps bung some peppers (bell peppers) in there, they dehydrate and rehydrate well. Add a bit of colour and texture?

I have tried freezer packs but there's a couple of things that makes them not worthwhile on a bike.

The heat from direct sunlight on the panniers means they're completely done within 12 hours. Everything in there gets quite warm, much hotter than if they were in a cool box in a car.

There's nowhere to re-freeze them so they are good for one cycle and you're left with the choice of carrying warm ice packs or abandoning them. Makes me feel a bit uncomfortable on the financial and environmental cost.

They also take up quite a lot of precious pannier space.

I do sometimes take frozen drinks as icepacks but either way I only get one meal on the first evening so I prefer to take something pre-made and frozen that defrosts en route.

Ambient (shelf stable) really comes into its own here. It provides good flexibility, if you arrive and there's a nice cantina open then you can leave the stuff you have on the bike and enjoy eating out. If not that's ok you have back up.

It's much closer to back packer or camping food apart from I have the advantage of being able to sous vide in a kettle.

I've just remembered there's a powdered mushroom soup that's really quite good, that might work. Maybe with some mushrooms, creamed coconut and spices I could take it in a thai direction 🤔
Perhaps bung some peppers (bell peppers) in there, they dehydrate and rehydrate well. Add a bit of colour and texture?
Your first stay upon arrival to the US should be an air bnb with a kitchen instead of a hotel. In fact, en route you could probably find quite a few that are far more comfortable and less expensive than hotels.

Back
Top Bottom