Do you call it Grilling or Barbecue

Let me add some complication. In the UK, grilling is done in the oven (AKA: cooker). It is what we Americans call broiling. What we call grilling, they call barbecuing.
That’s a good point, and it’s something I always try to explain succinctly, and always fail.

There are two kinds of definitions for words/concepts - what the dictionary says, and what people actually practice.

Me, being a casual outside cook who doesn’t get too hung up on terminology, and as someone who sees very little black and white in the world, and a whole lot of grey, I say that anything I cook on my outside propane cooking apparatus is grilled. I’ll sometimes say it’s barbecued, but that usually means there’s some kind of dry rub or tomato-based sauce involved.

IOW, I make barbecued chicken (slathered in sauce) on my outside grill. I grill hamburgers on my outside grill. Doesn’t matter if it’s coals or propane, direct or indirect, low and slow or hot and fast.

If I’m inviting you over, I might say, “C’mon over Saturday, we’re grilling out,” or “cooking out,” or “having a cookout,” or “we’re barbecuing.” They all mean the same thing to me.

caseydog correct, In Europe and Australia a BBQ is cooking over hot coals, and nothing else. I must say, my favourite type of BBQ is Korean, such complexity of flavour and very healthy.
Err, sorry but that's not the case in Australia.
Most BBQs are actually gas, run off a bottle which is available to swap at almost every petrol station and hardware store and many other places in between.

The free BBQ's that are available in most national parks and at almost every site with picnic benches (eg a beach) run off elecriticty.

You can buy charcoal for a BBQ if you want but it's much harder to come by because the whole concept of coal is not available to consumers in Australia, so charcoal (made from wood) isn't something many bother about because (open/outdoor or in a stove) fires here are wood and wood only. No coal period, so they/we don't tend to bother with messy charcoal.

Err, sorry but that's not the case in Australia.
Most BBQs are actually gas, run off a bottle which is available to swap at almost every petrol station and hardware store and many other places in between.

The free BBQ's that are available in most national parks and at almost every site with picnic benches (eg a beach) run off elecriticty.

You can buy charcoal for a BBQ if you want but it's much harder to come by because the whole concept of coal is not available to consumers in Australia, so charcoal (made from wood) isn't something many bother about because (open/outdoor or in a stove) fires here are wood and wood only. No coal period, so they/we don't tend to bother with messy charcoal.

The majority of Americans use gas (propane) grills. I have both gas and charcoal grills. I use the gas grill for quick cooks like burgers or chicken, but prefer charcoal/wood for longer cooks, like ribs and pork shoulder.

CD

If I have time I like to use charcoal with my rotary cook. I've posted pics where I usually do a whole leg of lamb. However due to time I usually just fire up the 6 burner gas bbq. Then to confuse you more o use my oven in the kitchen top element to "grill" broil my tandoori lamb cutlets. I decide what I'm cooking and then how I'm cooking it?

Russ

We use charcoal at home and gas (propane) when away in the MH. In the MH its all about convenience, ease to clean, and also in many places in the summer naked flames (inc. charcoal BBQs) are banned for fire reasons.

We use charcoal at home and gas (propane) when away in the MH. In the MH its all about convenience, ease to clean, and also in many places in the summer naked flames (inc. charcoal BBQs) are banned for fire reasons.
Son has a caravan and uses both oven inside and Weber for outside. Kinda like me, likes options?
Btw 30 deg c here today and public holiday ( waitangi day) so gas bbq tonight. Lamb chops chicken kebabs and sausages. Salads etc.

Russ

rascal , what is a rotary cook ? i've never heard that term before

If I have time I like to use charcoal with my rotary cook.

I use the two terms interchangeably, but I tend to use “barbecue“ primarily. Same with my husband. We’re in Canada, if that matters.

In the UK, grilling is done in the oven (AKA: cooker)
Not necessarily my friend. I´ve got an American brand cooker in Caracas which is like that: the "grill" function is in the oven. However, the cooker in my mum´s house in the UK looks like this:
IMG_20230206_161102_290.jpg
and as you can see, the grill is at eye level, something like the "salamander" I used in my friend´s professional kitchen. Personally, a grill, for me, has to be on a BBQ - ie. outside in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom