Do you eat live food?

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
5:17 AM
Do you eat live food?

I've tried oysters live but prefer them cooked. I can't ever see me trying Casu marzu.

I'm pretty adventurous in trying new food but i think this is my cut off point.

The only ones that I can think of are oysters and clams.

Clams? I've not heard of those being eaten raw. I do remember my husbands uncle getting very ill from eating a clan stew. Not put me off eating them (cooked) though.

Clams? I've not heard of those being eaten raw. I do remember my husbands uncle getting very ill from eating a clan stew. Not put me off eating them (cooked) though.

Would that be a clan Macleod stew?:whistling:

Raw oysters and clams are great, but once you shuck them, I don't think they are still alive.

.... from https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/raw-oysters-still-alive_us_592582f3e4b0ec129d31130b

Julie Qiu, an oyster expert who pens the blog In A Half Shell, says oysters probably die when the meat is separated from the shell, because the oyster’s heart is right next to the bottom adductor muscle. That would mean that they aren’t technically still alive when you throw them down the hatch.
But whether the oyster’s death happens so swiftly is unclear ― one could speculate that the final moment doesn’t actually happen until the oyster comes in contact with the chomp of some hefty molars, or the acids in our stomachs.

..of course I suppose there are vegetables that are technically still alive when you eat them raw. A raw carrot for example, is capable of sprouting leaves. Does that mean its alive? :scratchhead:

I've had raw conch straight out of the shell, but is it still alive? Same with uni, the urchin is alive before you break it open.

Last edited:
Oysters make my answer a yes... I've spent many hours of my life praising them off rocks and eating them standing in knee deep water.

Though the most disturbing thing I've ever watched is the videos of octopus having soy sauce poured on it and it trying to climb out of the bowl.

Though the most disturbing thing I've ever watched is the videos of octopus having soy sauce poured on it and it trying to climb out of the bowl.

I you attempt eating live octopus, look for a little bowl of oil such as seasme oil nearby your plate. If you don't dip the alive-ish tentacles into the oil, the suckers will stick in your throat. The oil helps them slide down.

Nope. No thank you.

Very few things I won't eat, and I love a great big octopus slowly braised with wine but I couldn't attempt that dish.

Back
Top Bottom