Do you eat much fresh fruit in a week?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
1:20 AM
Late last year I noticed that I wasn't eating as much fresh fruit as I used to, so made an effort to try and have three or four pieces per week.

I now take an orange to work each day to have at lunchtime and eat apples on a nighttime if I get a bit "snacky".

How much fruit do you normally eat in a week and what sorts of fruit do you prefer?

Nowhere near weekday at used to. But we do eat watermelon in the evenings and I do have a small piece of avocado during the day. But fruit and I have big issues because of my geographic tongue and it burning holes in my mouth.

My husband has also had to stop eating anywhere near as much fruit because it has destroyed his teeth from to much fruit sugar. He was getting through 3-4 pieces of fruit a day. Mostly apples I should add. I'm rather partial to rhubarb when it is in season.

Weight-wise, I've eaten pears by the lb(pound) on a daily basis along with bananas later on. Long before the "Five a Day" came in.

Nowhere near weekday at used to. But we do eat watermelon in the evenings and I do have a small piece of avocado during the day. But fruit and I have big issues because of my geographic tongue and it burning holes in my mouth.

My husband has also had to stop eating anywhere near as much fruit because it has destroyed his teeth from to much fruit sugar. He was getting through 3-4 pieces of fruit a day. Mostly apples I should add. I'm rather partial to rhubarb when it is in season.

Could have sworn I replied to this before, saying rhubarb isn't a fruit. Oh well, I must be losing the plot. It is an honorary fruit though and I love it!
I don't eat nearly enough fruit I suspect, although a lot of grapes are consumed in liquid form. I like strawberries, and also tomato, cucumbers and aubergines (the latter 3 being honorary vegetables!). I'm not keen on avocado though - too fatty for me. I love physalis (Cape Gooseberries) when I can get them and of course, blackberries from the hedgerow. Chilli pepper (particularly Scotch Bonnet) is my all time favourite fruit! :laugh:

I particularly like fruit in salad or other savoury dishes and intend to experiment more with that.

3lb bananas on Sunday, 4lb yesterday(Monday).
Non today.

Loads of the stuff. Lots of peaches, nectarines and pineapples at the moment with a good measure of strawberries thrown in. In winter, lots of oranges and their various derivatives. And usually a banana a day, too.

I love fruit but it can upset my tummy so I do have to be a bit careful. Acidic fruit-apples, pears etc cause acid reflux so cannot eat them, don't like bananas, so we buy small pots of mango,melon, strawberries and serve with vanilla yogurt. Depending on what breakfast cereal I am eating I do like to add blueberries.

Coming to Australia has changed things a touch here. My OH is eating many more bananas a day now (usually 2 a day). He says they taste better here, and they come with the dried flower still attached to the bottom of the 'nana.

Also things like pawpaw, melons of all sorts, and other such fruit, where a single fruit is too large for 1 or 2 people, actually come in segments wrapped up with the seeds still in them, so that you can purchase say 1/6th of a red seedless watermelon, or 1/2 of a gala melon (or whatever they are calling it here). Other fruit like pineapple come prepared, but still fresh and well, if I remember I will photograph some of the fruit in the supermarket next time I'm there. It makes buying it much easier because you know you won't have to throw away a large amount of it before it has gone off because 2 of you can't eat it fast enough. I quite like the idea.

In addition, things like lemons and limes are sold by the kilo, not individually which I can't quite get my head around, but I guess it makes more sense really. You can buy a large lemon and get more lemon.

Fruit in this country doesn't always taste great due the airmiles etc so when we visit another country we eat a lot more fruit, last year in Thailand I ate and enjoyed bananas, over here they are horrible sugary things.

3lb bananas on Sunday, 4lb yesterday(Monday).
Non today.
Now I am trying to figure out in my mind how much that would be and it seems like a lot..
You went a bit bananas then!
My sentiments exactly.
Now to the question, I don't eat nearly enough and not consistently. There are always English apples around and I know when they are cheap. My husband buys them in bulk. A lot of fruits are seasonal so I eat what I like when in season and mangoes immediately come to mind. Bananas are also a favourite. I just remembered that when golden apples are in season I could eat them by the truck load.

Back
Top Bottom