Do you eat the gristle?

Local time
2:22 AM
I'm not really a huge fan of chicken, but my fiance makes it all of the time, so he is slowly converting me! One thing we eat a lot of in this house, is chicken wings. I would say we at least have them twice a month. They always talk about who has the guts to eat the gristle. The other day I accidentally ate it, and I was so not a fan! I heard some people love it though. Do you eat the gristle on your chicken?

I eat the gristle.

I guess I was brought up to eat everything except the bones.

How about pigs' trotters? :hungry:

By way of archaeological experimentation I once ate about half a spare rib. The bone bit as well as the meat. I just chewed away at it all evening while I watched telly. I was mostly interested in the tooth marks left on the bone, but it was kind of fun too, like pretending to be a dog!

In case anyone is interested, human chewmarks are similar to those of a dog. (which are distinctly different to those of a cat or rat).

I eat everything on chicken wings except the bone. I never thought about the gristle too much. I just ate everything off the bone.

I eat everything on chicken wings except the bone. I never thought about the gristle too much. I just ate everything off the bone.
Same here. Can't quite understand when someone takes the wing and then only eats a tiny bit of meat, leaving the skin and and the meat they can't reach.

Same here. Can't quite understand when someone takes the wing and then only eats a tiny bit of meat, leaving the skin and and the meat they can't reach.
Exactly. Wings are made to have all the meat eaten. I clean my bones when I eat wings. A friend once asked me if I was that hungry after watching me eat a big plate of wings. I told them that that was how I always eat my wings.

I don't eat the gristle on chicken. It grosses me out. I never order chopped up pieces of chicken in restaurants -- I've run into gristle too many times.

I don't understand what is so gross.about the gristle. I have no problem eating it, but not everyone eats chicken the same way. I guess to each his own.

My dad does, he eats the bones clean. I don't know how he can do it. Personally it grosses me out, not to mention I can barely chew through it so I am worried about swallowing it and choking on it.

The closest I can get to eating the gristle, is if the chicken has been slow cooking for a long period of time to the point where everything is very tender. When I make a large batch of chicken stock for example. I typically use chicken thighs and drums for it. All the meat is falling apart by the time it's done, so it's not really gristle any more. But on fried buffalo wings, no way.

Back
Top Bottom