Do You ever ask for recipes when you dine out?

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
7:44 AM
I have no shame.

When dining out if I eat a dish that makes my eyes roll up into my head I ask for the recipe. I don't ask the server. I ask to speak to the Chef. Of course I praise the meal and fawn over the Chef.

The fawning over the Chef part worked better when I was young and cute. Oh well.

Chefs are like anyone else - they want to be appreciated.

I do not always get the recipe but I certainly won't get it if I do not ask. I do get recipes frequently enough to make asking worth while.

Either way the Chef walks away with a big smile and a strut.

BTW - we are a typical older couple. When we dine out we always dine early. The kitchen is not as busy and the Chef has time to visit with diners.

Now that I think about it I have not done that in a while. Neither have we eaten out in a while. That has to be rectified.

Yes I do - the last time was when I ate in a Michelin star restaurant in Birmingham. This was a lunch menu which was excellent value, I hasten to add. In fact, there was no need to ask the chef. The food waiter knew exactly how everything had been cooked and what it contained - that is Michelin star service!

I'll have to try that more often - but to do that, I will have to go out for a meal more often. Usually any questions I have about the recipes are limited to any ingredients I cannot have. I did ask once in a Indian restaurant I go to occasionally, but somehow the recipe got lost in the translation.

Back
Top Bottom