Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
That's a rather sweeping statement! So many techniques have roots in French cookery.
Never was a fan of French cookery, and far less the Troisgrois brothers.
No, not at all; it´s a personal choice. It´s nothing to do with the techniques; it just the food itself. I suppose it´s because I was mostly vegetarian when I was younger, and French food seemed to me all about "PROTEIN" with a skinny carrot and two slices of potato on the plate. I´d much rather eat something Italian, Spanish, Indian, Mexican than French.
As for the Troisgrois; I just didn´t get all that minimalist stuff on a plate.

No, not at all; it´s a personal choice. It´s nothing to do with the techniques; it just the food itself. I suppose it´s because I was mostly vegetarian when I was younger, and French food seemed to me all about "PROTEIN" with a skinny carrot and two slices of potato on the plate. I´d much rather eat something Italian, Spanish, Indian, Mexican than French.
As for the Troisgrois; I just didn´t get all that minimalist stuff on a plate.
Yeah, not being acquainted with French food generally results in that kind of perspective as would someone not acquainted with Mexican food might think it's all taco's and refried beans. It's about the culture of food in France that has made it famous, not for a particular plating of food during the nouvelle cuisine movement. That actually freed french chefs from the drudgery of conventional french cookery and layed the foundation of new way fwd with the Troisgros brothers, Paul Bocuse et all, and until then, French chefs were finding there way to other countries so they were not confined to those tight French restrictions. So many French chefs ended up New York City and London during those times. cheers.

EDIT: My bias is that I'm a French trained chef, so there is that lol. Personally I find that being trained in French cuisine helps in the understanding of most other cuisines as far as the techniques that apply to those cuisines simply because technique is universal to a high degree among all cuisines.

Last edited:
KK was responding to your question, which I then responded to. Hard to tell at what point answering questions on a particular thread would then need to be it's own. It's confusing.

To clarify: Its when posts veer into being solely about a different topic, that's all. My original statement was simply pointing out that sous-vide is a technique and that techniques are not the same as a cuisine (in this case French). Then the following posts became about French cuisine and not about sous-vide at all. It happens all the time. Sometimes I move the posts to a new thread.

To clarify: Its when posts veer into being solely about a different topic, that's all. My original statement was simply pointing out that sous-vide is a technique and that techniques are not the same as a cuisine (in this case French). Then the following posts became about French cuisine and not about sous-vide at all. It happens all the time. Sometimes I move the posts to a new thread.
Personally, I'm fine and would prefer Mods moving them at their discretion.

OK - so back to sous-vide.
I ask myself: would I want to acquire a machine which costs between £ 140 - 400 ($180 - 520) just to cook vegetables? Probably not.
Would I want to buy a machine which takes about 3 times longer to cook my veggies, but (apparently) intensifies the flavour? Again, probably not.
Would I want to use this machine to cook ALL my vegetables? Again, probably not.Apparently, some veggies (Brussels Sprouts, for example) are notoriously difficult to get right.
Would I notice the difference between sous-vide and normal cooking? Well, I might - but then I might not. :happy: :happy:
Evidently the carnivores among us can provide a different perspective. From what I´ve read, sous-vide meat is delish. I can´t vouch for that.
If I owned a restaurant, it might well be a fixture and an opportunity to offer meat/poultry in a different light.

OK - so back to sous-vide.
I ask myself: would I want to acquire a machine which costs between £ 140 - 400 ($180 - 520) just to cook vegetables? Probably not.
Would I want to buy a machine which takes about 3 times longer to cook my veggies, but (apparently) intensifies the flavour? Again, probably not.
Would I want to use this machine to cook ALL my vegetables? Again, probably not.Apparently, some veggies (Brussels Sprouts, for example) are notoriously difficult to get right.
Would I notice the difference between sous-vide and normal cooking? Well, I might - but then I might not. :happy: :happy:
Evidently the carnivores among us can provide a different perspective. From what I´ve read, sous-vide meat is delish. I can´t vouch for that.
If I owned a restaurant, it might well be a fixture and an opportunity to offer meat/poultry in a different light.

I primarily use mine for meats, mostly pork and beef. I can get a perfect medium rare every single time. Lean pork, like tenderloin, can easily be overcooked. I never get it wrong using sous vide. Tender, juicy, with that slight bit of pink.

For me, it is all about that precision. Well, I also like that if my meat is done before my sides, I can let it soak for a little while to get my timing back on track.

CD

I purchased my wand-type sous vide cooker at the beginning of 2021 for $80 USD, granted it's not the top of the line but more "best buy". I've used it several times for non-meat products with great success ... I'm very satisfied with having this tool in my kitchen arsenal.

Mine arrived this morning and it was much bigger than anticipated (380mm high x 75mm diameter - there was no indication of size on the website). I cleaned it and tried it with pork sausages - 2 hours @ 55°C. Then I used the blowlamp on the sausages for colour (a mistake). The sausages were cooked and did not shrivel. I shall try it again with a different brand of sausage but today was mainly a trial run for tomorrow's beef fillet.

Sous vide in a 6 litre pot.

The cooked sausage are here:

Mine arrived this morning and it was much bigger than anticipated (380mm high x 75mm diameter - there was no indication of size on the website). I cleaned it and tried it with pork sausages - 2 hours @ 55°C. Then I used the blowlamp on the sausages for colour (a mistake). The sausages were cooked and did not shrivel. I shall try it again with a different brand of sausage but today was mainly a trial run for tomorrow's beef fillet.

Sous vide in a 6 litre pot.

The cooked sausage are here:

Looks like the blow lamp was a bit much for sausage casings.

CD

Back
Top Bottom